FREAK'N STALLS

starlightlu
on 11/23/13 8:28 pm - Canada

Hi, I'm now 6 1/2 months post op, lost 90 lbs and I'm stalled for close to 4 weeks now.  I do admit that I sneak in carbs. I eat what i want or what is available because i  REFUSE to "diet".  But damn i hate this cycle of losing 4-5 lbs and then have to wait a whole month before the damn scale budges again. Is this the end of the road for me? Am I expecting miracles or dreaming in colors seeing I don't put the required effort?

Thx. 

laughstarlight

SW 260 SW 257 CW 139 GW 130  

meq815
on 11/23/13 9:51 pm - PA

We are pretty much on the same timetable.  I'm 6 1/2 months, and had sat at 99 lbs lost for about 3 weeks, then suddenly one day I was down another 5.  I have the same mindset...I will not diet!  I don't believe it's the end of the road....after such a significant and dramatic weight loss the first few months, we are probably leveling out, and will continue to lose, just more slowly.

FYI- my surgery was 4/29, SW 270 CW 166.  Almost exactly the same as you!

meq815
on 11/23/13 10:21 pm - PA

My sig won't change blush

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 11/23/13 10:55 pm, edited 11/23/13 10:56 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

I am less than 4 months out but it is my understanding that eating carbs will slow down our weight loss. Most people recommend staying away from carbs until we reach maintenance, after which we can start adding them back in, in moderation. 

We also have a "honeymoon" period for about 12-18 months where we should take advantage of the rapid weight loss. 

You've done great so far! It is said that in order to be on track to lose 100% of your EWL, you should have lost 25% of EWL by 2 months, 50% of EWL by 6 months, and 80% by 12 months. Looks like you are ahead of schedule!

Here's more about rapid weight loss of the DS from www.dsfacts.com: "After Duodenal Switch you can expect to lose 0.5 to 1 lb per day or 40 to 90 lbs by 3 months post-op. [51] Rapid weight loss decreases by 6 to 9 months after the procedure and peak weight loss is achieved at 12 to 18 months post-op."

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

PeteA
on 11/24/13 12:47 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm 7 months out. I sympathize with not wanting to "diet". I guess I just don't see high protein, low carb as a diet. Do you track protein and carbs? I know even when I think I am limiting carbs many more can sneak in than I thought.

The DS does a lot on its own. I don't think you're done yet. You might do a couple of weeks back to what you were eating in months 3 and 4. See if that helps. I do think Meq has a point about your body adjusting to the weight loss you have already had. Just don't let that lead you to the frustration, more carbs cycle.

Good luck.  Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 11/26/13 1:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

This is simply part of the ebb and flow of losing.  It's perfectly normal.  I never dieted on my way down either, but you need to be just a little mindful.  The way I kept out of trouble was this:

Eat all your protein and a little veggies, but save a few bites for whatever the heck you want, be it rice, bread, or chocolate cake.  Your stomach can only hold a couple of heavenly bites, but you won't be deprived, and the holidays won't be a time of deprivation either.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Lyss Remaly
on 11/26/13 2:15 am - Wheeling, IL

Your frustration is totally understandable.  It sounds like you know where you might be going wrong at this point with sneaking carbs into the picture.

Something that I think is very important to understand is the difference between a DIET and a LIFESTYLE.  A diet does not work... a lifestyle does.  The DS is not the miracle cure to being able to eat anything you want just in smaller amounts.  You will always have to watch what you eat, be conscious of it and make better choices.  Use this stall as a learning experience.  Be very honest with yourself on what you are putting in your mouth and track everything.  It's shocking what foods have hidden carbs and sugars that our bodies just don't like.

If you need any help or want to chat further please feel more than free to PM me.

GOOD LUCK!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 277 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 751 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views