Cods/flu/bronchitis etc.

Gillyc
on 12/5/13 11:57 pm
DS on 12/17/13

Ok, I have to ask this.  What is it like when you get alien death flu?  I'm pre-op, but I've been sick for about 6 weeks now.  Sinus infection, (very bad one) then ear infection, allergic reaction to my antibiotics,  and bronchitis for the past 2 weeks, no sign of it letting up right now.  I have rather bad allergy induced asthma and it's always flared it's ugly head when I've gotten sick.

I tend to get rather weak and run down very quickly when I'm ill, how will it be post-op?  The doctors keep saying everything gets better after, but what about when I'm older? I was skinny pre-puberty and *always* in the hospital with pneumonia and such, found memories of the oxygen tents.  Since 18 or so I've been much better (exposed to less?), I'm just worried what the realities are.  what if you can't hydrate/get enough protein for a couple weeks?

jashley
on 12/6/13 12:40 pm
DS on 12/19/12

I don't think anyone can predict that for you.  It depends on too many variables.

I used to smoke, and when I quit smoking and changed my job, I quit getting bronchitis and pneumonia.  The smoking was weakening my lungs, and the building I worked in had mold/dust in the heater ducts that kept infecting me.  So my behavior and environment caused it - take a look at yours.

You will be taking lots of vitamins after surgery.  And you will be exercising.  You will eat better.  That will help your immune system a lot.  Eating yogurt or taking probiotics also helps with this.  Your allergies will be better as you build up your immune system also.

I find that I have not gotten sick or had any infections since I had this surgery.  No boils either. My skin is much better also.  My allergies were practically nothing this year.

Gillyc
on 12/6/13 4:01 pm
DS on 12/17/13

I'm not asking for predictions, just peoples experiences and how they cope with illness post op.  If the impact has been somewhat negligible or more severe.  Hope for the best plan for the worst etc.

This latest chain of illnesses was set off by a severe allergic reaction while helping my sister unpack some things from storage.  I have never smoked (no one should sign up for that but def. not asthmatics), I do eat healthily, sugar and salt is kept to a minimum, and I eat lots of probiotic yogurt (and vitamin c since I have school aged children).  I also swim daily.  My immune system has never been super, to say the least, but I try very hard to live a healthy life style.  

I expect you meant well, I'm sure once I lose weight, I will be able to move much more, and with ease, but I have never been sedentary (I have no car so I walk or bike with all my children for everything in our life).

Yeah, I was just wondering what some people have been hit with, easy, average, worst, so I'm better prepared to deal with it post op.

Thanks for your input, it's good to know things have improved in a cross the board for you.  I know I need to add humidifiers in all the rooms here.  Electric heating is a real killer.  

Huneypie
on 12/6/13 5:55 pm, edited 12/6/13 5:55 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12

A cold's a cold - no different post DS.  I've not had bronchitis since I was a kid and no flu thanks to flu jabs.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Huneypie
on 12/6/13 3:48 pm - London, United Kingdom
DS on 07/24/12
I've had colds post DS and I take Lemsip which is a drink with paracetamol and decongestant so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone there. Also I get a flu vaccine every year and that works well for me.

Lowish BMI? See Lightweights Board! Lightweight Creed For more on DS see www.DSfacts.com
If you don't have peace, it isn't because someone took it from you; you gave it away. You cannot always control what happens to you, but you can control what happens in you John C Maxwell 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comSleeve 2010 Dr López Corvala, Mexico. DS 2012 Dr Himpens, Belgium

I  my DS  

Valerie G.
on 12/6/13 8:57 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm 8 years post op and can still count on one hand how many colds I've had since my DS.

Why?  The vitamins keep us extremely healthy and our immune system is high!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views