Too few calories?

clutterbunny
on 12/10/13 11:19 pm - CA

I know we're not supposed to worry about calories because of the malabsorption (tho Dr. K. did voice a concern about the extra 1200 or so a week I get from going out for drinks with friends).  I assumed that meant don't worry about too many?

But when I run calculations on my intake and factor in the malabsorption (60% protein, 20% fat, 100% carbs), most days I'm absorbing less than 800 calories.

So...should we worry about too few?  

Any input is greatly appreciated!

-Deana

Amy, Daredevil
Extraordinaire

on 12/10/13 11:48 pm, edited 12/10/13 11:53 pm - Los Angeles, CA
DS on 08/06/13

Most VSGers shoot for 600-800 calories per day during their losing phase, so I guess that would put you in line with them. I don't count my calories; I just make sure I get in all my protein.

*DS with Dr. Ara Keshishian on 08/06/13* SW: 231 CW: 131 GW: 119 * Check out My YouTube Channel: AmysDSJourney *

Lyss Remaly
on 12/11/13 12:19 am - Wheeling, IL

PLEASE keep in mind that what I'm saying is purely my experience and what I do personally.  This is what works for ME.

I count EVERY SINGLE CALORIE.  I still believe that calories are calories no matter who I absorb them.  MAJORITY of my calories come from protein and healthy fats.  Before I started training for a bodybuilding competition I was averaging about 900 calories a day.  Now I have increased to 1200 and it is A LOT of food.  I am constantly full and never ever feel hungry.

Counting calories is really important.  Keep track of everything you eat just to be conscious of what exactly you are eating.

hollykim
on 12/11/13 2:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

do bear in mind that "drinks" are mostly sugar in one form or another. We absorb ALL the sugar calories we consume. 1200 cals is a lot of sugar to absorb. GL

Amy W.
on 12/11/13 4:25 am - Buckeye, AZ
Weird! I juuuuuust came online to ask questions similar to this subject! I never used to count calories until I started using the app "MapMyFitness". I'm going to wait for more people to respond because I'm curious what others have to say.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Nycsublimegirl
on 12/11/13 4:47 am - GUTTENBERG, NJ

Keep in mind there are many beverages that are 0 carbs and only about 60 calories.... try to stick to white wine (60 calories 4 carbs)... vodka seltzers..(60 calories 0 carbs). shots of tequilla....(55 calories 0 carbs)

They are not fruity drinks....but ....still allows you to sip and have fun.

clutterbunny
on 12/11/13 5:59 am - CA

I generally do either white wine or vodka/iced tea with lemon....

PattyL
on 12/11/13 5:39 am

Those yummy drinks are all sugar, simple carbs that will derail your weightloss.  Look for a lower sugar option.  In addition to what others have mentioned there are also low carb beers out there that taste OK to me.  But I'm not much of a drinker.

Amy W.
on 12/11/13 6:35 am - Buckeye, AZ
Question: Do you use a food tracker to track your food, and then manually calculate the malabsorption?

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

clutterbunny
on 12/11/13 11:24 pm - CA

I use myfitnesspal.com and calculate in a spreadsheet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views