Psych Eval?

HKFandora
on 2/26/14 10:52 pm

Did you use a psychologist or psychiatrist that was knowledgeable of weight loss surgery? Did it matter with your approval?

PeteA
on 2/27/14 4:10 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The psych eval was with a psychologist that was part of my Drs. program so they were familiar with WLS. They just gave me a standardized test and we talked about the results. My take was that you would have to have a serious eating disorder or other untreated mental issues to rule you out of the program.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

miranda12503
on 2/27/14 8:54 am

I was giving a list of providers that I could select from. I went with a psychologist .... she asked me lots of questions and then said "I see no reason you should not have the surgery, I will write a approval letter".... it was a short and sweet kind of appointment.

DS Surgery Nov 12th, 2013

SW 250       BMI 41.6

CW 127 BMI 21

123 pounds loss in 1 year 7 months! 

Went from a size 22 to a size 4/6!

Valerie G.
on 2/28/14 2:13 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

If your surgeon can't recommend someone, you may need to call around.  Not all psychs are willing to do a surgical evaluation. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

demolishingbridges
on 2/28/14 5:38 pm
DS on 02/11/14

My psychologist was recommended by my surgeon's office and was very familiar with this process.  He had me do a personality questionnaire ahead of time and then entered the results into the computer to analyze me in a statistical way.  He then went over the results with me and proceeded to ask questions about myself, my history, and my reasons for surgery. I think it took about 30-45 minutes, not including the time it took to fill out the survey.

They really just want to get a feel for your mental state and make sure you're of sound mind. 

I actually think a psychologist is better suited for this because a psychiatrist in general is going to be more geared toward the medicinal part of mental health, whereas a psychologist is more focused on talking and exploring the use of differing therapies (whether they be psychoanalytic, cognitive, behavioral, etc., or a combination)... With that said, I would certainly hope that psychiatrists would also be able to do a proper analysis needed for approval.  Just make sure that whoever you go to is actually approved by your insurance.

Best of luck to you,

Erika

Had DS on February 11, 2014. Dr. Patrick Coates. Memorial Medical Center, Modesto, CA.
HW: 335 | SW: 309 | CW: 220 | GW: 130

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views