Dry Heaves a Month Post Op??

theamazingtif
on 3/24/14 2:13 pm - Rockwall, TX

I had my DS surged a month ago tomorrow. A couple of days ago I started dry heaving a few days ago. It happens a few times a day and thankfully I don't actually throw up. Is this normal??  I'm really hoping it's nothing serious. 

MajorMom
on 3/24/14 7:17 pm - VA

I hope it isn't anything serious. Try increasing the amount of plain water you're drinking. If you have a little trouble with water, add some fresh squeezed lemon or lime and sweeten with Splenda or Truvia.

--gina 

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

theamazingtif
on 3/24/14 11:47 pm - Rockwall, TX

Thank you Gina!  I hope it's that simple!  I drink water or keep ice chips with me all the time but I'm definitely willing to give it a try. 

trumanorme
on 3/25/14 10:01 am - KS

Had the same issue. I ate lemons, and started eating small amounts of cheese.

theamazingtif
on 3/25/14 10:09 am - Rockwall, TX

I saw my after care Dr today. He says this is perfectly normal and said it's very similiar to morning sickness. He prescribed me Zofran. Within 10 mins, I started feeling better. Now my fingers are crossed that it keeps working for me!! 

I had cheese and crackers for dinner tonight. Hopefully that helps too. 

Sheanie
on 3/25/14 10:14 am
On March 25, 2014 at 5:09 PM Pacific Time, theamazingtif wrote:

I saw my after care Dr today. He says this is perfectly normal and said it's very similiar to morning sickness. He prescribed me Zofran. Within 10 mins, I started feeling better. Now my fingers are crossed that it keeps working for me!! 

I had cheese and crackers for dinner tonight. Hopefully that helps too. 

Did your surgeon put you on an acid reducer or PPI?  Like Prilosec?  Nausea is caused from stomach cramping from the acid.  If you're not on one, call and ask for a prescription for 8 weeks.  Your insurance will cover it, if applicable.  I needed two 8 week courses.

Also, the crackers?  No good.  It's actually the SALT that is cutting your nausea.  Salt is an anti-emetic.  Google that.  Salt will help with nausea, not crackers.  So the cheese has salt, and the crackers are salted.  Skip the flour, eat salty stuff, or drink some chicken bouillon.  Same result.  SALT.

But definitely get on a PPI.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

theamazingtif
on 3/25/14 10:23 am - Rockwall, TX

I'm on Prilosec, too. This seems to happen on an empty stomach, usually 3-4 hours after I've eaten. I made sure to take the Zofran first and give it time to work before I ate. When the dry heaving starts, the last thing I want is food. I try to sit really still and focus on breathing until it stops. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views