Dr. Ganta in Austin?

Irishnurse
on 12/1/14 10:53 pm, edited 12/1/14 10:54 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Has anyone heard of this Surgeon. He is saying he is one of the best for Gastric to DS revision. My Aunt has an appointment with him on Thursday. I have never heard of him and he is not on the DSfacts vetted list. Is he a new rising star for the DS or something? 

I want to make sure she has the best and does not get lied to then a screwed up off shoot surgery of the DS. We need a surgeon in Texas. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Valerie G.
on 12/2/14 2:18 am, edited 12/2/14 4:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Hmmmm, I call BS.  If he's "one of the best", I would have heard more about him over the decade I've been around on these forums.

I believe that someone on a FB DS group is being sold on the SADI (Loop DS) from him.  This experimental procedure is popping up in many surgeon's offices that have never done the DS before, and they are saying that it's "just as good".  I can't speak to that because it's brand new, and neither can they.  Warn mom about that.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

robs477
on 12/2/14 3:20 am, edited 12/2/14 3:21 am
On December 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, Valerie G. wrote:

Hmmmm, I call BS.  If he's "one of the best", I would have heard more about him over the decade I've been around on these forums.

Valerie is 1000% correct. It's BS...run as fast as you can! He MAY be a good surgeon, not sure, will check when I get a minute, BUT...he is NOT A VETTED DS Surgeon. I am a pre-op and I live in Texas and have spent the last SIX months eating, living and breathing everything DS...(which is mostly BS here in Texas), including personally interviewing SIX Surgeons whom claimed to do the DS. In Texas, there are only 2-3 real Vetted DS surgeons in Houston/Dallas and all the rest are "Bait-N-No Switchers". The advice I got on this site and others saved me, (hopefully), that unimaginable trauma!

PattyL
on 12/2/14 4:48 am

Never heard of him.  And just like Val said...I have been around a long time.  Your Aunt needs to ask how many he has done and lots of other questions as well.

PeteA
on 12/2/14 4:56 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I'm not a big believer in the "vetted" process but it does sound like she should be careful
and get as much information from him as possible on his prior history with the DS.

Irishnurse
on 12/2/14 10:14 pm, edited 12/2/14 10:14 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Thank you for the information and Y'All's opinions. I thought as much. I pasted all these replies to private chat with her. =)

Cindy1976
on 12/7/14 2:27 am
DS on 12/26/14

I live in the Austin area and have seen this surgeon and COMPLETELY agree with everyone else. He will act like he's down to do the DS but then will do everything possible to get you to go with another surgery. I saw him last year and he told me that my insurance would absolutely not approve my surgery (revision from lap band, one per lifetime limit). I work for a large employer in the area and he said he had tried to get other revisions approved on this plan and it was impossible but if I wanted to pay $27k in cash we could do surgery right away. I tried another surgeon (Dr. Ayoola in Denton) and his office got me approved with no issues and didn't try to change my mind or push me to self pay. I still haven't had surgery (found out I was pregnant a week before my surgery date last year). When I started the process again this year a rep at my insurance company incorrectly told me I could only use a surgeon in the Austin area. Since I want the DS, that left Dr. Ganta as the only option so I tried him again. I work for the same company but we have a different insurance provider this year (no one per lifetime limit) so I thought maybe I'd have more luck. So this time he tells me that there is still a one per lifetime exclusion (there is not) and that insurance may pre-approve but then change their mind and won't pay after surgery is done and I'll be on the hook for a much higher rate so I will need to get someone from my company to write a signed letter to him saying they will definitely pay even if the insurance company refuses to pay. Of course there is ZERO chance that anyone at a Fortune 100 company is going to write that letter or make that agreement. So, his office reminds me that I can pay $27k in cash if I want and risk my insurance not covering complications, etc. and then they tell me that if by some miracle I'm able to get this BS letter of commitment to pay from my employer I'll also need to pay a $5k deposit because sometimes insurance takes a long time to pay the doctor (not sure how this is my problem rather than a cost of doing business) but if I would like to have a sleeve or bypass then I won't have to worry about these things. Interesting huh? So I left in tears. I called my HR department and insurance concierge service and they clarified the earlier mis information I was given about using a local surgeon (thank God!). So now I'm back to working through the process with Dr. Ayoola's office. I highly recommend that your aunt go see him. It's about a 3.5 drive but well worth it. I've seen him a few times and have been very impressed. He knows the DS and has an excellent bedside manner. He takes time to explain things in clear English and neither he nor his staff has ever tried to change my mind, sway me, push self pay, or in any way discourage my efforts. Best of luck to your aunt. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views