Surgiversary - 9 years

jinjer
on 12/12/15 10:58 am - Eastwood, KY

9 YEARS!! Count 'em, 9 beautiful years!!  I can't believe it has been that long!  I truly got my life back when I had the DS.  Dr. Dennis Smith was my surgeon.  I have done wonderful!! Lost 119 pounds, kept most of it off.  I've only regained about 5 pounds in the last 2 years.  Despite that gain, I still wear the same size.  I take my vitamins everyday.  I have been anemic and received iron infusion 3 times over the last 9years. I had osteoporosis, although I do not believe this was related to my surgery, but my post menopausal status. Thanks to Prolia, I have returned to a normal bone density scan this year.  I still try and eat mostly protein first, then other stuff if there's room. I follow up every year with Dr. Smith via telephone consult. My labs have been awesome the whole time. 

I am eternally grateful that I researched and found the DS and found a great surgeon like Dr. Smith.  This website was my lifeline before and after surgery. It also helped me meet others in my area that had the DS surgery. My life is awesome now!!!

To the Newbies,  seize the opportunity you have in the beginning to lose all the weight you can. Follow all the DS rules and all the great advice you get here. Enjoy life!!!!

Jinjer

PattyL
on 12/12/15 3:44 pm

Congratulations!

Petunia
on 12/14/15 1:45 pm

Congratulations on 9 years! I must have had my DS around the same time.  Happy to hear the Prolia worked for you, I had my first shot in October.   I'm having problems with keeping my calcium and iron up.  I would love to hear what is working for you and the doses, mostly on the bone health.  I've had one iron infusion and am about ready for a second.  

Ruby

jinjer
on 12/16/15 9:13 pm - Eastwood, KY

Hey Petunia!

I tried all kinds of calcium but had such constipation problems.  My calcium numbers really were normal all along, but my PTH crept up several times.  (side note: Prolia will raise you PTH significantly, so have that drawn too close to getting the shot) I finally found some transdermal calcium cream from SeaBlue vitamins. It is suppose to have 400mg of calcium in each pump. I use 2 pumps daily.  It seems to have worked very well. No issues since it's not going through my gut!!!  

My hemoglobin and hematocrit have actually been OK, but my ferritin kept dropping. I have had only 2 iron infusions over the 9 years. I eat lots of red meat and dark leafy veggies that have iron, but don't take any additional iron supplement. Hope that helps. 

Jinjer

Petunia
on 12/17/15 3:13 am

Thanks for your response Jinjer,

I feel we have the same systems.  I also suffer from the constipation with calcium and iron.  I've been using Vitalady calcium and the magnesium and my doctor wanted me to switch to UpCal and boy what a problem I'm having with it.  I placed an order this morning for your cream and will use it with the Vitalady calcium that I tolerate to see if my numbers come up.  The only iron I take is a single Proferrin, will need an infusion soon.  I don't tolerate iron either.  

Thank you again,

Ruby

Shotrod64
on 12/15/15 11:30 am - Spanaway, WA
Congratulations!! I am just starting this journey and have surgery on Friday. Nervous but ready for it to be over so I can get started on healing and learning my way. This is a revision from sleeve and surgeon said he might tweak my stomach a bit but will wait til he's in there to see. The stomach looked normal size wise for the sleeve 7 yrs out though and not overly stretched so will see what happens!

I hope I have as good of luck as you have with everything or maybe it's not so much luck as doing what you need and supposed to also or a bit of both!!
Crazeru
on 12/18/15 4:35 pm

Congrats Jinjer!  I had my first iron infusions (5) in June, I'm 7 yrs out.  Best thing I've done too, well the PS helped too.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/30/15 4:03 pm
Wow congrats!!!

Here's to 9+ more awesome years!!!!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views