Revision to DS from RNY

lilbird
on 2/17/16 10:30 pm - Cambridge , Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

I am looking to get some input on this type of surgery... I had a RNY 3 ys ago, my weight loss is ok. Not the best for this surgery I think but I had a lot of issues... 

At 1 yr I had a surgery due to a candy cane syndrome, and then last yr I had revision on the pouch for ulcers below the pouch in the junction.    

I constantly throw up can not keep any solids down, only liquid and soft type foods. I also can not do any more than 15 carbs in a meal due to severe Hypoglycemia. 

Scope done in Dec, 2015 no ulcers seen at that time. 

Dr is talking revision to help fix my issues. So I want to understand what is entailed in the ds revision from RNY. what exactly do they have to do to change over to ds/ sleeve.

ty ahead of time.

1/10/13  Dr. Reed(Guelph) HW 315  OPTI 284.8 (-17.2 )  SD 267.5   CW 181.8 GW 125

1)19.8 2)12.8  3)11.4 4)10 5)10.2 6(July) 9.0 7)6.8 8)     9)      10)      11)      12)

There is no duty we underrate so much as the duty of being happy. Robert Louis Stevenson.

PattyL
on 2/18/16 2:24 pm

Who is your doc?  How many of these surgeries has he/she done and how are his postops doing/results?  There are few really qualified to do a RNY/DS revision.

Honestly this is a big surgery.  Bypassing more guts isn't the hard part.  It's making you a stomach from a pou*****luding the pyloric valve.  Ask a lot of questions and maybe a second opinion too.

larra
on 2/18/16 3:07 pm - bay area, CA

Revising from gastric bypass to DS is a huge surgery that very few bariatric surgeons are competent to do. It requires completely reversing the gastric bypass, in other words putting your stomach back together and undoing the surgery that has been done on the small intestine, and THEN doing the sleeve gastrectomy and doing the "switch" portion which bypasses much more of your small intestine than your old gastric bypass did. Even among experienced DS surgeons, very few are willing and able to do this challenging and high risk operation.

In Canada, the only surgeon I know of who does this revision is Dr. Gagner in Montreal. It is possible that Dr. Hong, the only DS surgeon I know of in Ontario (I can never remember which city, I just know he's not in Toronto or Ottawa) does them, possibly in 2 stages, but I don't know this for sure. It is definitely not something a surgeon not experienced with the DS should attempt.

Larra

K P.
on 2/18/16 3:38 pm
DS on 07/08/14

I have read that this is probably the biggest revision possible. Lots of time under, lots of possible complications.

On the hypoglycemia note - I have a DS and can't eat carbs for 2 reasons - 1 the hypo and 2 the upset stomach/gas. While this may get better for you with the revision you want - know that it may not.

Look at the pictures comparing what an RNY anatomy looks like - and then look at a DS anatomy picture. They are VERY different. Essentially you have to "undo" the RNY and then go for the DS. Again, its long, and its very complicated.

I truly wish you the best of luck.

HW 284; SW 270; CW 152; Revised GW 140-160  

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views