Eyeballing food

Fire_Ice
on 11/29/17 4:29 pm
DS on 10/25/17

I'm exactly five weeks post op, so just past the soft meats stage.

When I'm home, I have no problems measuring out my food. But I had Thanksgiving at the in-laws and had to guess at the right measurement for turkey. Or today I was out shopping with my son and got us lunch. I got a small hamburger without a bun. It seemed about the right size and I didn t feel overly full after.

Any tips on how to know whether or not my portions are right when I'm away from home? Or is it just a skill you pick up?

MajorMom
on 11/30/17 12:25 am - VA

If you ate a whole bunless burger at 5 weeks post-op you're doing great. That one burger is about the right size for any meal at this stage. Keep the volume of dense food as low as you can for as long as you can. Supplement with protein shakes if you'd like. I think keeping dense food at a minimum keeps our stomach from stretching out too fast, but that's just me. Take it slow and let your new tiny tummy do what it's good at.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Janet P.
on 11/30/17 5:59 am

Great job. Honestly it's just something you learn but it's great that you're already starting to think that way. If I'm not sure I simply ask how much protein is in a serving. I just did that a few weeks ago at Noodles & Co. (and I'm 14 years post-op).

Any restaurant (or even fast food) will know exactly how much protein is in a particular meal. All restaurants must provide nutritional information (either in the restaurant itself or online), and that includes protein content.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Valerie G.
on 11/30/17 5:38 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The easiest way for me to eyeball meat was that 3oz is about the size of a deck of cards.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/4/17 4:39 pm
I'd eat to just before I was full. Your body will let you know when you are eating too much or too fast. ????????????Scott
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 158 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 696 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views