Still throwing up

Fire_Ice
on 3/10/18 8:38 pm
DS on 10/25/17

I'm 4.5 months post-op and I feel like I'm still struggling with eating normal meats and vegetables. While throwing up in the beginning was normal for me (either I ate too fast or didn't properly sense when I was full), it is very rare for it to happen now.

But if I eat out, I can almost guarantee that I will throw up. Tonight we went to Denny's. I had scrambled eggs, some sausage and a single bite of my husband's pancake. I ate slowly. These are foods I eat at home (and I do have bites of carbs on a fairly regular basis - it makes me feel more myself). And I threw up in the restaurant bathroom. At a red light. In my bathroom at home. Small amounts each time, but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated that I can't eat out with my family. That eating out always seems to make me vomit.

I also missed lunch today because of errands. Maybe that's why I got sick? My stomach was too empty?

Has anyone else gone through something similar? If you have, does it get better? Or any tips or suggestions?

Janet P.
on 3/11/18 6:07 am

There are a few clues in your post.

I still sometimes have a hard time eating out (I'm 15 years post-op). I tend to get distracted, conversing, etc., and don't necessarily pay attention to how I'm eating (it's usually too fast). I've also learned that I can't get hungry. I never, ever miss a meal because of what happened to you (yes it's happened to me). Mainly its because I simply eat too fast if I'm too hungry.

You need to learn to plan. Always, always have something to eat - nuts, cheese, deli meat, hard boiled eggs. If you're out and about (i.e., running errands), stop someplace and pick something up. Carry a little cooler or lunchbag with you (yes even when running errands). You're still a newbie but it's something you need to learn.

Again, being only 4.5 months post-op it's still trial and error. What kinds of meats are you having trouble with? What kind of veggies are you eating? Remember at 4.5 months you're not "normal" yet.

I giggled when you said that "while throwing up in the beginning..." because you're still in the beginning. You had major surgery 4.5 months ago and it actually takes a good 3 months for your insides to completely heal.

Another thing you'll need to learn is patience :)

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Fire_Ice
on 3/12/18 10:45 am
DS on 10/25/17

Thanks for the info. I do get that sticky, thick saliva right before it happens. I read something about how that means the digestive tract perceives something as being "stuck," even if it's not.

Meats I'm having trouble with - ground turkey makes me sick. I seem to be handling ground beef slightly better. Chicken is a hit or miss - sometimes I'm fine, other times it makes me ill. Steak is okay, but I have to be really careful with the amount. With the exception of bacon, pork products are not working for me, either. For veggies, I'm sticking with the ones I've always enjoyed - peas, carrots, celery, green beans, things like that. They seem to be okay, but because I eat them after the proteins, it makes it more difficult to figure out how much of a role they're playing when I throw up.

Fire_Ice
on 3/12/18 10:07 pm
DS on 10/25/17

How long do you go in between snacks/meals?

Fire_Ice
on 3/12/18 10:47 am
DS on 10/25/17

And I can't have seafood. It causes inflammation for me, as do dairy products.

Janet P.
on 3/13/18 3:05 am

IMHO everything related to eating post-op is trial and error. You're still fairly early out (less than 6 months) so you're still in that stage - something works or it doesn't. As far as meats, everything you mentioned (ground turkey, pork other than bacon, or chicken) tend to be very dry (lean). One of the great things about the DS is that fat is our friend. It takes time to make the adjustment because we've been taught our whole lives to eat "low/no fat". I only eat dark meat chicken. Pork is a hard one - same reason is that its usually too dry unless it's pan friend, which is how I eat pork. Sorry about the seafood and dairy - I can't imagine (I had scallops for dinner last night).

I snack all day long. Most of my snacks are protein - HB eggs, cheese, deli meat, nuts, yogurt, and my new favorite beef jerky. I'll sometimes find myself reaching for something within a couple of hours of eating a meal. I also always have something with me. I eat three full meals a day and then definitely snack in between. I wake up starving because I try not to snack in the evening - I don't sleep well if I eat too late. But I will have a couple of cookies or a small bowl of ice cream. I don't deprive myself of anything.

If you continue to throw up, definitely contact your doctor.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Gwen M.
on 3/13/18 6:32 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Have you spoken with your surgeon?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Bellamia78
on 3/24/18 9:20 pm, edited 3/24/18 2:21 pm
DS on 10/10/17

I'm about 6mos out post ds... and whenever I get nauseous or feel like I'm going to vomit it's 1 of 2 things or both... I either ate too fast or I'm dehydrated (who knew) I've learned that by not getting enough fluids in us it kind of backfires for me... I've woken up seriously ill because the day before I wasnt on top of my fluid intake... as for meat listen to above posters definitely trial and error.. I have the same love/hate relationship with chicken and beef but I however can do seafood which is a lifesaver... eggs are a great staple too! And I know we aren't supposed to depend on the protein shakes but if it means you skipping a meal or not, then definitely have the shake ... I have to watch lactose since basically immediately after surgery I became intolerant... hope this helps

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views