New DS: Eating Plan - moving from low fat to high fat/protein

TiffanyDG
on 10/13/18 10:55 am, edited 10/13/18 11:32 am
DS on 09/25/18

As a new DSr, I have been reading posts about high protein/high fat success. My doctor's recommended plan is very low fat and high protein. Perhaps this is while becoming accustomed to having 150cm common channel and 70% less stomach.

So far, I have lost 26lbs since 9/17 and am having a hard time getting above 500 cals/day but am at ~50g protein daily and progressing up due to Premier Protein shakes.

At what point did you move to the high fat/protein eating without negative repercussions?

larra
on 10/13/18 2:42 pm - bay area, CA

So sad! Not you, you're fine, it's your doctor that's sad. Low fat makes no sense for the DS. One of the great benefits of the DS, and one of the big reasons we not only lose weight but maintain our weight loss, is selective malabsorption of fat. We only absorb about 20% of the fat we consume, so low fat products are unnecessary, and often higher in carbs than the full fat versions. This means you can use regular mayo (and similar products) any form of meat, not just lean meat, including bacon, etc. And why he would recommend bananas is beyond me - no protein, and very filling, which will prevent you from getting in enough protein, especially in the early days when you can't eat very much.

We see this a lot. Often, surgeons give the same dietary advice for both the DS and gastric bypass, even though they are very different operations with very different post-op dietary needs. Not your fault you were given poor advice, and I'm glad you're doing your own research and correcting it.

Larra

kairosgrammy
on 10/17/18 11:10 am
RNY on 10/17/17

I'm not a DSer but I've heard from others that because it is malabsorbed, too much can create a lot of diarrhea, bloating and gas. I think one should always be cautious when advising another WLS patient to go against what their particular program requires. Every WLS has the right to research how they want to eat and act accordingly but few of us are Drs or nutritionists so perhaps we shouldn't be handing out advice.

chevtow41
on 10/13/18 7:44 pm
DS on 11/11/14

skip the fruit, toast, rice. Carbs are bad.

You're only a month out so 50gr of protein is pretty good, also eating is tough early out. Hydration is key, be sure to drink lots of water, if you don't you can become dehydrated which can lead to nausea.

Fat is necessary but it will be trial and error. Eat too much and you'll get diarrhea, don't eat enough and you'll be constipated. I'd say ease into higher fat. I eat egg yolks, cheese, peanut butter, bacon, and butter A LOT and have maintained 270lb loss

hollykim
on 10/13/18 7:51 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 13, 2018 at 5:55 PM Pacific Time, TiffanyDG wrote:

As a new DSr, I have been reading posts about high protein/high fat success. My doctor's recommended plan is very low fat and high protein. Perhaps this is while becoming accustomed to having 150cm common channel and 70% less stomach.

So far, I have lost 26lbs since 9/17 and am having a hard time getting above 500 cals/day but am at ~50g protein daily and progressing up due to Premier Protein shakes.

At what point did you move to the high fat/protein eating without negative repercussions?

I have eaten high fat from day one,for the reasons Latta mentioned.

in addition, white toast and white rice and any carbs are pure sugar. We don't need them.

Plus carbs likevtoadtvryc eill give you terrible stinky gas and loose stools.

TiffanyDG
on 10/14/18 7:10 am, edited 10/14/18 1:28 am
DS on 09/25/18

Thank you everyone for your replies. I certainly know that I will need to build up to the fat consumption and that it is good for me. Currently, if I go beyond 20 fat grams for the day, I end up spending quality time with the porcelain throne.

Sounds like the general advice is take some time and build up to higher fat...and avoid carbs - they are evil.

If there are advice threads that you really like that helped you along the way (esp when you were within your first year with DS), please leave me a link.

PS. I am a revision from band (9/2005) to DS (9/2018)...so it's learning to eat all over again.

PattyL
on 10/14/18 11:24 am

Your docs advice is sad. Maybe he/she is a good cutter but it's plain they know nothing about DS nutrition.

Forget the fruit, toast, and rice. And skim milk has more sugar in it than whole milk. I use heavy whipping cream or half and half, very few carbs in that! Most of the carbs I do eat are green veggies like green beans and broccoli.

You should be enjoying bacon, eggs, butter, and mayo!

Generally speaking every carb you don't eat is a victory. Keep that philosophy till you are @ 10% under your goal. I don't seek out fat. I don't sit and eat a stick of butter. But I don't avoid fat at all. I use full fat everything. Eggs fried in butter and bacon are a perfect breakfast. Especially if you add some cheese to the eggs.

And if you are worried about your cholesterol, don't! Most of us have low cholesterol after the DS because we don't absorb the fat we eat!

Beam me up Scottie
on 10/14/18 9:14 pm
No! No! No!

Eat a high fat diet. Keeps things moving, and helps you lose weight faster.

Drop the carbs (sorry no bananas, oatmeal, limit your fruit intake).

Scott
Janet P.
on 10/15/18 9:15 am

Sine my DS, never ate low fat, ever. You do mention that you have a 150 cc common channel, but otherwise you will malabsorb fat. You actually need fat in your diet.

At this point in the process you should be somewhere between 30-60 grams of protein per day. I've never tracked calories so I cant help you with suggestions.

If you opt to add fat, I say add it slowly.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PeteA
on 10/16/18 6:20 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I've never been a fan of high fat and don't eat that way. I for sure don't eat low fat either. While you might be forced to lower fat early on because you are putting more emphasis on protein and, especially early on, you might be sensitive to fat (I see you have experience with ending up in the bathroom with too much fat). You can work to add some fat as you get a little further along.

My philosophy was always that I get enough fat in my regular diet and don't worry about adding any or trying to hit some kind of high fat goals.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views