10-year surgeversay duedonel switch

sarah Shonfelt
on 10/15/18 9:43 am - Acworth, GA
10-year Weight-loss Surgeversary â?-?
10 years ago I made the decision to undergo the Duodenal Switch Bariatric Surgery to lose weight for a healthier life. I had struggled with my weight since I was in my early teens, turning towards food as an outlet to curb anxiety. In my 30’s my top weight was 325 lbs, just diagnosed with diabetes, lost my gall bladder, and my body was slowly crippling, I underwent the surgery. In just 2 years after the surgery I lost 185 lbs. my energy level was up, within the first month my diabetes was gone. I have a wonderful group of friends and support that also had the same surgery and through the years we continue to discuss the good and the bad results.
Since having my surgery I have guided and mentored many people through their decisions in the same or similar surgeries, some have gone through it, some have lost weight just by following my post-surgery diet. I have lost 2 friends that had this surgery for post-related issues, which keeps me mindful that it was not a cure all. I have transference of addictions, so when food was no longer an issue, I turned towards alcohol, which finally I surrendered into a 12-step program that I have been successful in learning about myself and why I use substances for my anxiety and issues, whereas now I have a god of my understanding and a great fellowship for support and friendship. I also didn’t take my vitamins through the years as my doctor instructed, and this has caused many vitamin deficiencies. My potassium, vitamin D, A, and E are all very low. I also got Iron deficient anemia where my body doesn’t make red blood cells on its own, so I will forever have to have iron infusions a few times a year.
I tell my story for anyone that had the surgery or anyone considering this form of weight loss, as yes their is a great side that we lose weight, however it is not a crutch, we still need to follow a positive approach to eating and following our doctors directions on nutrition, attending support groups, and watching for transferring addictions.
325 lbs and today 170 lbs
October 2008 - 2018!!!

Thanks, Sarah                 HW: 325 SW: 311  -  DS Surgery 10/15/08

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/18 7:18 pm
Janet P.
on 10/16/18 10:33 am

Thanks for sharing your story and congrats on your 10 years. I'm also glad to see that you're getting back on track.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Kathy S.
on 10/31/18 6:11 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Sarah,

What an inspiration you are and I love that you want to share your story to pay it forward to others. We would love to have you share your journey in a featured article on the home page. Let me know if you would be interested and I will send you the details I hope to hear from you.

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

sarah Shonfelt
on 10/31/18 6:19 am - Acworth, GA
Hi Kathy, I am honored and would love to contribute to an article. Thank you so much!!!

Thanks, Sarah                 HW: 325 SW: 311  -  DS Surgery 10/15/08

Kathy S.
on 10/31/18 9:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Thank you, that would be amazing. I will send you some information

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 258 views
calcium/protein