Lab test for protein and calcium issues?

aeadix
on 10/29/18 4:01 pm

Hi all! I'm trying to sort out my lab order...I'm specifically curious as to which labs will indicate deficiencies in protein absorption and calcium. I see where a Prealbumin test has been ordered...is that for the protein?

Thanks all!

Traditional DS, 11/30/17. 5'6", 57 yo female. HW: 310. SW: 298, CW: 153. GW: 138.

PeteA
on 10/30/18 6:44 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Hi, I think I have this right. Both albumin and Prealbumin are nutrition / protein indicators. Prealbumin is what has been going on the last 2 or 3 days so it is an indicator of where your albumin and protein levels are headed. Mostly, my Docs just do albumin and protein levels but a lot of people feel the pre-albumin levels are important especially the first 6 months to a year because you may have a harder time getting in protein at that time.

For calcium you want to look at PTH and calcium. Docs may not want to do the PTH unless they see an issue in the calcium numbers but a lot of people say you should always do the PTH too because it is an indicator if you are taking the calcium from your bones instead of the supplements.

Hope this helps,

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

aeadix
on 10/30/18 1:23 pm

Thanks so much Pete!!

PeteA
on 10/31/18 5:30 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I saw Julie recommended a Dexiscan and that is probably a good idea to look in to. Even if you just use it to get a baseline. Like she said, not really a lab test and since this isn't as big an issue for guys not something I've done (I'm 60). Something to discuss with Docs, usually though there is some sign that points to needing one from other posts I've read but always good to be pro-active. A lot of the bloodwork is so you can see trends and adjust if before things get too bad, I would put this in that category.

Pete

Noodle65
on 10/30/18 7:39 pm, edited 10/30/18 12:40 pm
DS on 10/18/12

I am six years out and my calcium and PTH levels are and were normal; however, after a broke my ulna and radius in a fall on soft sand I confirmed I have very severe osteoporosis.

Im 53 and have been told I have the bones of an 80 year old. I highly recommend you get a baseline dexi, a good endocrinologist or internists to monitor your labs.

Julie

aeadix
on 10/30/18 7:53 pm

Thanks Julie! That is not on the lab order. Is it a blood test? I'm sorry to hear about your bone density issues. What are they able to do to address that?

catwoman7
on 10/31/18 5:41 am
RNY on 06/03/15

it's not a blood test. It's been awhile since I've had one, but you lie on a table and they move this scanner thing over you that measures your bone density, among other things. I don't think the "thing" touches you at all. At any rate, it's completely painless. There are drugs that help build bone if it turns out you have osteoporosis - both oral drugs and injectables.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Noodle65
on 10/30/18 8:29 pm, edited 10/30/18 1:31 pm
DS on 10/18/12
  • A dexi scan is usually done where you get a mammogram. It is not a lab test. I am being treated with Fortero to hopefully build bone.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.radiologyinfo.org/en/amp/dexa.html

aeadix
on 10/30/18 11:00 pm

Interesting, in all the years that I have had mama grams, I've never had a Dexi scan done! Thanks for the info. Good luck with the Fortero!!

MichelleS61
on 10/31/18 7:30 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

Normally you won't have a bone density scan until you're older (senior) or if you have a family history of Osteoporosis and/or start breaking bones.

I've had 2 prior to surgery as I had a family history and over a couple of years had minor falls and broke my wrist and ankle. My first one was borderline and my second one had improved with weight bearing exercise and more calcium in my diet.

My Mother has a family history and was taking drugs which can result in bone loss and wasn't properly monitored which resulted in compression fractures in her spine (she's now 4'10" used to be 5'9"). My PCP has been really good about tracking me as I also take some of the drug classes which have been shown to cause bone loss. I will be having another scan when I hit the 1 year mark, my labs have been okay, but am looking to see if they're are any downward trends that could be treated through other means than just the calcium supplements.

Good luck it's all about being proactive in your personal health care now, and so many clinics do little or no follow up.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 136 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 678 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views