I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times - has anyone self paid for their surgery?

maddy9603
on 11/4/18 7:43 am - Fountain Inn, SC

I'm REALLY wanting to get this done but my insurance won't cover it at all. I just can't fathom financing 25k?

MarinaGirl
on 11/4/18 11:36 am

Many people go to Mexicali Bariatric Center and have DS surgery with either Dr. Ungson or Dr. Esquerra, who are the preeminent DS surgeons in Mexico. The price is definitely a lot less than $25k. Contact them for a video consult and estimate. Good luck!

DonRobbie
on 1/18/19 1:16 pm
DS on 12/18/18

I had a virgin DS for $10,000 at Mexicali Bariatric a month ago (regular price was $11000, but I was able to get a special).

Noodle65
on 11/4/18 12:18 pm
DS on 10/18/12

6 years ago I paid 13k for my revision from the crap band to DS. Best money I've every spent. My insurance only covered one WLS and the crap band was it. My surgeon, Daniel Cottam gave me a price break as he was building up his DS experience. I had zero complications and have had a great outcome. 200 cc common channel.

Blessings

Julie

chevtow41
on 11/4/18 12:41 pm
DS on 11/11/14

I believe Dr Greenbaum in NJ? has a pretty good cash price as well, and is also well regarded.

PattyL
on 11/4/18 1:46 pm

It's done all the time. I believe Esquerra is well under 20K and his practice is the only one in MX I would recommend.

People have been self paying forever. My sister and H had theirs done in Spain.

hollykim
on 11/4/18 2:34 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 4, 2018 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, maddy9603 wrote:

I'm REALLY wanting to get this done but my insurance won't cover it at all. I just can't fathom financing 25k?

I had my conversion from VSG to DS at Mexicali Bariatrics with Dr. unison.

I was his last patient before he left for a government job,unless he has recently returned to the practice.

I would now only recommend Dr esquerra at Mexicali Bariatrics.

My converson was less than 10,000 so a virgin surgery would likely be less that that.

i had better care in MX than I have had in some hospitals in the states. Medical tourism is a huge deal and countries that promote it and the surgeons and facilities there go the extra mile because they know you could choose to spend your medical tourism money anywhere and they certainly want to encourage ppl to spend it with them.

PattyL
on 11/4/18 2:47 pm

Ungson has returned to the practice now and is doing surgeries!

Valerie G.
on 11/9/18 8:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

He is back! That is wonderful news. I have to post that on another question.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

larra
on 11/4/18 9:03 pm - bay area, CA

if you contact Dr. Ungson's or Dr. Esquerra's staff, they will tell you what they presently charge. Last I knew, it was somewhere around 11-13K. Still a good chunk of change, but far less than 25K. And the feedback about them and their hospital has been positive.

btw, no need to go through some medical tourism company. You can make all your arrangements yourself with their staff explaining the system to you.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 122 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 664 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views