For those who have lost TOO MUCH weight...

Clarkestep
on 12/14/18 8:36 am

When did you start noticing your weight loss being a problem, as in too fast or too soon?

I am 6.5 months post-op.

HW: 247.5lbs on 4/22/18

SW: 228 lbs on 5\23\18

CW: 149.0lbs

GW: 125lbs

I am still currently losing about 10lbs\month (over the last 3 months). I'm starting to get concerned that I'm losing too fast and I won't stop after I hit my personal goal. I'd like to get down to 125lbs, keep it off for about 6-8 months, and then get plastics...which I know will cause me to lose another 5-10lbs.

And if anyone else is reading this, did your weight loss just pretty much stop suddenly? Like, how will I know the end is drawing near?

Thanks!

Jennifer

Janet P.
on 12/14/18 10:06 am

Jennifer - you're still in weight loss mode, so I personally wouldn't worry about it. I assume while in the weight loss mode, you're eating a high protein, low carb diet. Once you get close to your goal, you'll need to start experimenting with what you're eating and slowly increase your carbs. It's finding the balance of protein and carbs so that you maintain your weight. That's the tricky party. Adding carbs can cause gas and bloating, so finding the balance between comfort and your weight takes time.

Are you tracking your protein and carbs? How many carbs are you currently eating to lose the 10 pounds a month? You need to slowly increase to see when you stop losing but make sure you're not increasing too much where you start gaining. It's the balancing act.

I had alot more weight than you did to lose (I started at 320 and ultimately ended up about 150). My weight loss was over a much longer period of time.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 12/14/18 12:13 pm

Don't even think about stopping your loss till your BMI is low or you are 10% under your goal. We are not used to diets working and many post concerns just like yours. Sigh. Then they start eating carbs. And guess what...a year later they are back here trying to lose the regain!

Let your DS do it's job and be successful! Yes there will be times when you look too thin. But things change and the fat does rearrange itself. And the thinner you are, the better the result from plastics.

(deactivated member)
on 12/15/18 3:36 pm
Clarkestep
on 12/18/18 6:46 am

Thank you, ladies for your input. I'll wait until I hit more than goal before getting freaked out. Lol. I also have contacted my doctor in Mexico and his office gave me some information concerning how to make my weight loss stop when I need it to.

Fire_Ice
on 12/21/18 6:10 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Me! I have definitely lost too much weight - to the point that my doctor and I discussed options if I keep losing (like changing the channel length or putting me on a feeding tube). Everyone remarks that I look gaunt or sickly. I also lost weight really quickly. I am 14 months post op and I'm 25 pounds under my goal weight. I keep waiting for the bounce back so that I can start putting some weight on. Hasn't happened yet.

My BMI has stayed within a normal range on the low end (19 to 20), so no drastic measures yet. But I have stayed around 145 to 150 for the last four months or so, so I'm hoping the weight loss has stabilized and won't go down any further.

MarinaGirl
on 12/21/18 11:08 pm
On December 22, 2018 at 2:10 AM Pacific Time, Fire_Ice wrote:

Me! I have definitely lost too much weight - to the point that my doctor and I discussed options if I keep losing (like changing the channel length or putting me on a feeding tube). Everyone remarks that I look gaunt or sickly. I also lost weight really quickly. I am 14 months post op and I'm 25 pounds under my goal weight. I keep waiting for the bounce back so that I can start putting some weight on. Hasn't happened yet.

My BMI has stayed within a normal range on the low end (19 to 20), so no drastic measures yet. But I have stayed around 145 to 150 for the last four months or so, so I'm hoping the weight loss has stabilized and won't go down any further.

My BMI has been 17.9-18.9 for the last year; I'm 20 months post gastric bypass. My doctors are not overly concerned and have not broached adding a feeding tube or doing any other drastic measures. In general, people do not think I'm gaunt or sickly, especially people that never met me when I was obese. The only ones that make rude comments are some family members and friends that have an issue with me being skinny now. It's their issue/insecurity and not based on facts. My labs are good and I feel fine (other than the reflux I've been struggling with, which may be the main reason for my low BMI). I don't anticipate being this weight long term and am not worrying about it at this point since my medical team is unconcerned.

(deactivated member)
on 1/20/19 10:00 pm
NYMom222
on 1/2/19 7:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

While you may lose 5-10lbs after plastics initially it may of may not stay off over time. Skin doesn't weigh a lot. Some of the post plastics wright loss is the - I just had any type of surgery weight loss

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

catwoman7
on 1/3/19 8:43 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I second what NYMom said. I initially lost 5 or 6 lbs after plastic surgery, but now, as long as I'm sticking to my usual eating/exercise routine, I average about 2 lbs less than I did before plastic surgery. I didn't ask my surgeon how much the skin he took off weighed, but I'd bet big bucks it was right around 2 lbs (and I lost over 200 lbs - so that's a fair amount of skin)

I think that initial drop was probably due to: 1) eating fewer calories the first couple of weeks after surgery - I just didn't feel like eating all that much and 2) you get a slight metabolism boost for the first few weeks because your body is in major healing mode. So...the weight comes back on, unfortunately!! (at least for many of us)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views