Throwing Up constantly.

Dazz
on 1/24/19 12:34 am
DS on 12/27/18

I had my surgery about a month ago and I throw up several times a day. I can eat about four bites of soft foods and then I have to wait to drink. It takes about 15 minutes before I can take a small sip of fluid. By that time, I'm so thirsty that I try to quench my thirst, the next thing I'm throwing up. Any suggestions on how to get more fluids down.

Also, I can't drink the protein shakes, the texture makes me throw up. Is this normal? Does this pass?

Liz J.
on 1/24/19 6:02 am
DS on 11/29/16

For the first year out I didn't drink 30 minutes before or after eating. Now, I'll take tiny sips during a meal and I don't worry about the 30 minute rule. Maybe try waiting 30 minutes? Then try to just sip, sip, sip and not try to quench your thirst all at once.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

larra
on 1/24/19 11:44 am - bay area, CA

IMHO many surgeons make patients drink protein shakes far too soon. Your body has protein stores to get you through the first few rough weeks. Focus on staying hydrated. The more you get dehydrated, the more nausea and vomiting you will have, which in turn will make you more dehydrated.

Eat little bites of what you can tolerate in the way of soft protein (tuna with lots of mayo - remember you don't have to worry about fat with the DS, shrimp, soft forms of egg, that sort of thing), don't push yourself to eat, and figure out what fluids work for you. Try different broths, water at different temperatures, just keep experimenting. If you really can't stay hydrated, go to the ER or urgent care and get tanked up with IV fluids. You will feel much better.

Larra

PeteA
on 1/29/19 9:00 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

It might be early like Larra suggest for protein shakes but I couldn't handle the pre-mixed shakes for most of my first year post-op. I ended up with Optimum Nutrition powder mixed with water and that was thin enough for me to handle.

You don't talk about how much you are drinking in between meals rather than with meals. Keep sipping in between meals maybe you won't feel that thirsty sensation as much.

It gets better from here.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

DonRobbie
on 1/30/19 1:48 pm
DS on 12/18/18

Bone broth might be a more tolerable way to get Protein in. Unjury Chicken soup could be another route to try. You may need to back down to liquids only for another week or two. I know that sucks (I was VERY ready to move on from liquids only) but it's better than getting dehydrated.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views