Help!!! Bad gas all the time

nikkir70
on 2/14/19 6:05 pm

Welp... I Had sleeve done in 2014 only lost 24lbs . Now, had DS done Jan. 14 2018 So I am only about a month out from surgery but... I have HORRIBLE gas and diarrhea all day and night and it's ruining my life I can't be the only one experiencing this so please tell me , has anyone else had this problem and how long till it passes? I am legit considering having this reversed. I did the food progression as directed the 1st 2 weeks and then my Dr told me to experiment with all kinds of food as my sleeve was already in place and healed. Now I'm sure that not all my choices are good but it appears that literally everything I eat does not agree with me. I am actually getting depressed over the severity of this problem.

Amy R.
on 2/14/19 8:19 pm

Eventually you're probably going to want to isolate the foods that give you the worst gas and avoid them. That takes time though and I'm guessing you want something that will help right now.

Have you tried Devrom? I've not had huge gas problems until this last year. It was horrible and I tried everything I know but still couldn't pinpoint the problem. Many here swear by Devrom, and I'd looked it up before but decided I didn't want to spend the money.

Fast forward to this latest episode and I'd have paid pretty much any price to get rid of the gas. Devrom has worked like a charm for me for the last six or eight months. Honestly I was at the end of my rope and I'm not sure what I would have done if I hadn't tried it. It had gotten to the point that I'd avoid family celebrations and even coffee dates with friends.

Long term there are other effective options such as probiotics and such that may help you significantly but for the immediate future I'd highly recommend you try this. (and no, I don't get commission or anything, lol)

Devrom

good luck and I hope you find what works for you.

nikkir70
on 2/14/19 9:52 pm

Yep...bought Devrom, beano, charcoal, gasx you name it. I am basically a shut in now ( almost) too scared to go anywhere for long. This is no way to live! How long ago was your surgery that you are still having this problem?

Janet P.
on 2/15/19 11:18 am
On February 15, 2019 at 5:52 AM Pacific Time, nikkir70 wrote:

Yep...bought Devrom, beano, charcoal, gasx you name it. I am basically a shut in now ( almost) too scared to go anywhere for long. This is no way to live! How long ago was your surgery that you are still having this problem?

Devrom does nothing for gas. It is strictly a deodorant and won't help with gas. I take Devrom every day and it helps with odor.

As others have mentioned, you'll need to start eliminating foods to determine what's causing the gas. Usual culprit is carbs (sugar is the ultimate culprit), but there can definitely be other foods that cause gas.

Sorry to say I'm 16 years post-op and still have gas. However, I've learned for the most part what causes my gas and plan accordingly.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Amy R.
on 2/16/19 7:39 am

I'm so sorry the Devrom didn't work!

My own surgery was just over 10 years ago. The gas problem came on pretty suddenly in year nine. The first eight years I had episodes but they were manageable. Still haven't been able to find the reason for the sudden increased gas but if I don't take the Devrom it comes right back.

Totally understand the part about not wanting to go anywhere. Hope you can find your answer.

Noodle65
on 2/16/19 12:58 pm
DS on 10/18/12

Amy

Do you take just one per day, chewable or capsules.

Amy R.
on 2/16/19 2:47 pm

I buy the capsules. How much I take daily is subject to how gassy I feel. I take four each day and sometimes six. The maximum dose is I believe eight.

So every day I take two capsules with my morning meal and then another two capsules with dinner. I've had periods when I've only had to take two each day but unless I run out I don't go any lower than two. So in other words sometimes I can get by with only one capsule morning and evening.

It's also a bit subject to what's going on in my life that day. Formal or semi-formal occasions? I take six the day before (divided into three doses). I then do the same the day of. Hanging around the house with no big plans? Maybe only two or four.

Sorry to give such a long response to such a short and specific question. There just isn't any way to know how much you need without trying it out. All of our bodies and food intakes are so different. As is the way we metabolize supplements and meds.

Good Luck =)

hollykim
on 2/15/19 7:34 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 15, 2019 at 2:05 AM Pacific Time, nikkir70 wrote:

Welp... I Had sleeve done in 2014 only lost 24lbs . Now, had DS done Jan. 14 2018 So I am only about a month out from surgery but... I have HORRIBLE gas and diarrhea all day and night and it's ruining my life I can't be the only one experiencing this so please tell me , has anyone else had this problem and how long till it passes? I am legit considering having this reversed. I did the food progression as directed the 1st 2 weeks and then my Dr told me to experiment with all kinds of food as my sleeve was already in place and healed. Now I'm sure that not all my choices are good but it appears that literally everything I eat does not agree with me. I am actually getting depressed over the severity of this problem.

eating carbs is what usually does this and for me, artificial sweeteners. What are you eating?

nikkir70
on 2/15/19 8:18 am

Been trying all different types of food. I am not able to just stick to dry meats and shakes! , it's just not realistic for me.

Janet P.
on 2/15/19 11:21 am

Focus on protein - not sure what you mean by dry meats. Fish is good, chicken (I only eat dark meat), deli meat. Try to stay away from processed foods. Someone else mentioned that artificial sweeteners can definitely cause gas so look into that.

Learning to listen to your body is key with the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views