Mexico RNY looking for DS in US

CristyA
on 2/27/19 2:17 pm

I found out my insurance covers Bariatric Surgery and I found a vetted doctor in Network.

The doctor is retiring and doesn't do RNY to DS anymore. The new doctor doing it in that office is reluctant to take an RNY patient who had surgery in Mexico.

I have contacted several doctors who won't even see me because my surgery was done in Mexico.

Has anybody found an RNY to DS surgeon who took them on as a patient even though they had their original surgery in Mexico?

larra
on 2/27/19 3:53 pm - bay area, CA

I'm sorry that didn't work out for you. It sounded so good, too.

I would again recommend you contact Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco and/or Dr. Ara Keshishian in Pasadena, CA. I have not heard of them rejecting anyone just because they had prior surgery in Mexico or another foreign country.

Larra

CristyA
on 2/27/19 4:51 pm

Thank you.

I am waiting for doctor Ks response. My insurance website says Dr. K is not in network but then my insurance app says he is in network.

My husbands employee website says Bariatrics are excluded. I called the insurance company and they say there is no exclusion for the employees of that company. I also called the employee benefits line and they also said there is no exclusion.

So, I'm getting a bunch of different answers about everything.

I will look up Dr. R next and see what I find on him.

Thank you for your support. :)

larra
on 2/27/19 8:17 pm - bay area, CA

Get a copy of your EOC (evidence of coverage), a lengthy document that details exactly what coverage you have or don't have. The people you contact by phone don't care whether or not they get it right, and especially with you needing a revision, there are often different criteria for that, so just knowing you are covered for "bariatric surgery" isn't sufficient.

If your insurance is through your employer or your husband's employer, you can get it through your or his HR. Just keep in mind that the first person you speak with in HR will probably have no idea what you're talking about, so you will need to go up the food chain. And the EOC isn't the little summary of benefits most people have, it should be about 100 pages.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 273 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 747 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views