From the sleeve board, VSG to DS

B. Jones
on 3/2/19 10:52 am

Asking for a friend?

Actually my sister :) Her starting weight 400 lbs current weight 300 lbs. She's lost about 100 lbs with the sleeve after 1 year, but stopped cold after about 6 months, has just maintained since. It's like it's just stopped, would like to lose another 100. She's a cancer survivor and has an autoimmune disease, thinking is this might be some (not all) of the problem.

Has anyone done a sleeve to DS and what kind of results did you see? She has a appointment next week with a different surgeon who does only DS. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

chevtow41
on 3/3/19 7:12 am
DS on 11/11/14

I am a virgin DS but many many people have sleeve to DS. From what I've read on the many FB pages and websites I'm on, most lose slower that a virgin DS but still do very well weight loss wise. What surgeon is she looking into? DS or SADI/SIPS?

B. Jones
on 3/3/19 10:36 am

Just the DS, our mom had the DS 6 1/2 years ago and has done very well with it. (We hate her:) Going to see Dr. Gary Anthone in Omaha, Ne our mom's surgeon next week. Know a few other people who had the DS with him and have done well from support group years ago.

My sister and I have both been self pay, so kinda held us back from getting the DS and just the sleeve. If this goes well for her, maybe something I would look at. I've Been hovering around 300 now for a few years but I don't have my sisters mobility problems. Not that I won't at some point.

Thanks

larra
on 3/3/19 10:44 am - bay area, CA

We see more people wanting/needing to revise from sleeve to DS all the time. Sleeve works okay for some people, but a lot of people lose well initially, as your sister did, and then the weight loss stops and regain begins despite good efforts on their part. Your sister is definitely not alone.

Dr. Anthone is a well known DS surgeon who does the real, standard of care DS. He does seem to prefer a longer common channel than other DS surgeons, and this is something your sister may want to discuss with him.

Larra

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views