DS weight gain 5 years later

Katemils819
on 3/5/19 9:07 am - Philadelphia , PA

Hi!! First time posting! So I had DS 5 years ago and have gained almost 50lbs back!!! I really want the weight off and i am struggling! And I'm in pain with worst smelling gas and bowel movement! Open to any suggestions, thoughts, Thanks so much!!!

(I get really excited when I talk)!!!!

hollykim
on 3/5/19 11:32 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 5, 2019 at 5:07 PM Pacific Time, Katemils819 wrote:

Hi!! First time posting! So I had DS 5 years ago and have gained almost 50lbs back!!! I really want the weight off and i am struggling! And I'm in pain with worst smelling gas and bowel movement! Open to any suggestions, thoughts, Thanks so much!!!

(I get really excited when I talk)!!!!

it is easy to gain on a diet high in carbs, which we absorb 100%.

What is a days menu like for you?

carbs and artificial sweeteners are the usual culprits to stinky gas and poop.

Katemils819
on 3/5/19 12:02 pm - Philadelphia , PA

So it's my own fault, once I could eat carbs and not vomit or get sick I started to eat them. I think my problem is I graze and don't know what or how to eat anymore and wind up snacking but the snacks I'm choosing are all carbs. Almost craving them like a pregnancy craving. And feel like I'm starving all the time. I guess I need ideas and food lists or recipes something.

Thank you

hollykim
on 3/5/19 1:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 5, 2019 at 8:02 PM Pacific Time, Katemils819 wrote:

So it's my own fault, once I could eat carbs and not vomit or get sick I started to eat them. I think my problem is I graze and don't know what or how to eat anymore and wind up snacking but the snacks I'm choosing are all carbs. Almost craving them like a pregnancy craving. And feel like I'm starving all the time. I guess I need ideas and food lists or recipes something.

Thank you

I could just about have predicted that was what you would say,as eating carbs is the most prevalent way those with a ds gain.

go back to meat,eggs, cheese, dairy and very little else.

The csrb craving IS an addiction, as you say and the more you eat, the more you want to eat. It has to be old turkey with carbs and the gist week will be very hard.

Drink plenty of no cal liquids and get all your bits in . You can lose the regain this way

Sunshine16
on 3/10/19 12:32 pm

Detox your body to stop cravings. High protein

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Janet P.
on 3/13/19 8:12 am

I graze all day, but try to focus on protein snacks - nuts, cheese, deli meat, yogurt, tuna, jerky, etc. Stinky gas is definitely a sign of too many carbs.

Start keeping a journal and you'll find out pretty quickly what helped you add those 50 pounds. Ideally your DS still works and once you get back on track (high protein, low carbs, lots of water) you should drop those extra pounds.

Eating post-DS is all about balance - eating what you want but making sure you get your protein in. Also eating just enough carbs to keep from losing too much but not gaining.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

PattyL
on 3/5/19 11:34 am

Back to basics. Cut all the carbs!

Eliza970
on 3/5/19 2:04 pm

A successful DS starts in the grocery store. This is what I do if I see a few pounds hanging around. First hit the dairy aisle. Milk, eggs, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese. Then, the meat aisle for servings of the meat you like, chicken, beef, pork, sausage, bacon, shrimp, fish. The produce section is all good, except fruits and potatoes. The deli counter is good for sliced meats and cheese, but not the prepared foods or salads. You can get beans and tuna in the 'can' aisle, but nothing else. Nothing in boxes. No soda, chips, candy, or cookies. No bread for now. No pasta or rice. Liquid calories are the worst, so no juice, beer, or soda, even diet soda.

Then, go to the checkout counter.

For the first month, don't go to a restaurant or eat fast food, until you get your food choices right.

You can eat as much of these foods as you want. Don't go hungry. Have 5 small meals a day. I predict you can lose 2 lbs a week easily in the first month of "shock" DS diet therapy. You will mostly control your diarrhea and gas if you eat only them, but if some of these symptoms happen, you will recognize your trouble foods (might be yogurt or milk or deli foods)

Im glad you realize you have to change. Your body is signaling you are eating the wrong foods by giving you diarrhea and gas and causing you to gain weight. You are the only one who can fix this and I know it's in your power to do it.

Tanya B.
on 3/5/19 4:24 pm - Philadelphia, PA

Couldn't agree more. I am 11 years post op and have gained 25 lbs. And my bathroom escapades were horrible! I went back to the basics 2 weeks ago and saw an immediate improvement. Bathroom issues are non existent. No stomach issues or gas. Down 4 lbs the first week. I eat hardly any carbs. 20-30 grams a day. And those are in my vegetables. I feel great. Now I am a grazer as well. So now I eat a stick of cheese. Or knock off a bottle of water quickly. The desire to graze passes. Best of luck.

Tanya B.
SUCCESS IS ONLY A STEP AWAY

Sunshine16
on 3/10/19 12:34 pm

Thank you!

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views