Vitamin Levels

cartwrightna
on 3/6/19 3:29 am

I'm about 7-8 years out from surgery and it's been an amazing ride.

Lately, I've been dealing with some odd anxiety like symptoms. When I got my last labs back my vitamin B's were extremely elevated. So high that the test didn't have a number other than > 2000. Also vitamin D had dipped.

I started to compare the labs with previous ones and my vitamin B's have always either been way low (before and right after surgery) or very high. Was a little curious on symptoms of high B's and there are not many sources who say high B's are concern. The ones I did find listed problems like skin conditions, issues sleeping, frequent urination, and anxiety. All symptoms that I have been fighting for months or years for some.

Does this sound like a plausible connection? How the hell do I lower them? I'm not taking any additional B.

PeteA
on 3/6/19 4:40 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Could you talk about specific vitamin B levels? The one you listed sounds like B12 which doesn't cause a problem at high levels. However, something like elevated B6 might be a cause for concern. I'm not an expert on the B's but those 2 come up quite often in discussions.

It's pretty hard to talk about B's as a group.

As to lowering, are you taking a multi vitamin? You may have to start looking at food sources. Not sure what else people have done in your situation although I've seen other people not supplement and still have high levels.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

cartwrightna
on 3/6/19 5:06 am

My multi does have some but I wouldn't expect it to be enough to cause it to spike that high. I'm more over curious if anyone has heard of symptoms of high Bs.

B12 = >2000pg/mL (Standard is 211-911pg/mL)

Folate = >20ng/mL (this is in range)

Vitamin B1/Whole Blood = 255 nmol/L (Standard range is 70-180nmol/L)

My nutritionist said that my gut bacteria could be producing Bs somehow so she has me taking a probiotic to try to normalize it. Just looking at Bs as a contributor because the symptoms I've been trying to track down seem to be coming up empty on the causes.

You'd think that since vitamin B is water soluble it would have normalized with as much as I pee...

Liz J.
on 3/6/19 6:10 am
DS on 11/29/16

With the research I've done, high B's don't have any negative problems. I'd worry more about your low D.

Liz

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

chevtow41
on 3/6/19 9:32 am
DS on 11/11/14

High B6 is bad

high B12 is no biggie

Are you taking dry D3? I need to take 100k daily to keep my D around 100, you may need to add another.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views