Taking regular medications after DS

Umpiregator
on 3/10/19 2:02 pm

Are there any issues (absorption) with taking normal medications after DS?

hollykim
on 3/10/19 3:30 pm, edited 3/10/19 8:30 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On March 10, 2019 at 9:02 PM Pacific Time, Umpiregator wrote:

Are there any issues (absorption) with taking normal medications after DS?

I am sure there are since we do have malabsorption but what else are we going to take? Delayed release really don?t work for us because we pass them before they have completely released.

islandgirl55
on 3/11/19 10:12 am

I had to switch from time released Wellbutrin to 2 doses of regular welbutrin.

RNY revision to Lap DS  Feb, 2016, Dr. Ayoola. 

HW 235/SW 184/CW 127

Eliza970
on 3/11/19 12:41 pm

I recently had to increase the dose of Lamictal XR from 200 mg to 300 mg after many years of the 200 mg dose for seizures. My neurologist checks blood levels at every visit and I take it on an empty stomach. It has been extended release since I had a seizure with the non extended release formula. (I think that was a generic vs brand name issue which can happen with anyone). Testing blood levels of critical drugs is recommended.

No issues with outpatient antibiotics or pain killers in effectiveness at the standard doses, but antibiotics cause killer diarrhea.

Noodle65
on 3/11/19 7:31 am
DS on 10/18/12

5 months after my ds in 2013, I was dxd with acute myloid leukemia. My treatment was very aggressive and lasted for over a year. By the grace of Almighty God I was recently deemed cured by my medical team. However during my year treatment I had to take handfuls of pills to build an artificial a immune system while I was receiving chemo.

I never had an issue with any pills not absorbing. Additionally during this time due to the stress I had to take several anti anxiety and Anti-depressants and again I had no issues with absorption

Initially my oncologist were concerned because they had never dealt with a cancer patient with a DS. They consulted my surgeon and several gastroenterologist and all was well and I'm blessed to be cured.

Blessings

julie

Donna L.
on 3/13/19 12:51 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Some absorption can increase but some can also decrease. It really depends on the individual medication, because they are not all metabolized or absorbed the same. There aren't many studies about the duodenal switch and absorption. Studies with the RNY do show decreases in plasma concentrations for some drugs (Cymbalta is a big one), but with the RNY contact with the duodenum is lost which isn't the case for the DS.

It's a good question to ask a bariatrician, actually, as they probably know the most about how malabsorption affects pharmacokinetics.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Valerie G.
on 3/25/19 6:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I've not had any problems at all (13 yrs out). Some do find a need to tweak extended release dosages (but some don't).

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 284 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 756 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views