Xifaxan may help

DaveV64
on 3/29/19 9:34 am

Hi all,

I do not post often here. My issues with odor and gas got worse regardless of diet and I went to see a GI doctor.

He suggested that my surgery may have left my intestines with lots of uncontrolled bad bacteria and thought I should try Xifaxan which is used to treat IBS. It seems to work pretty well. I will keep you informed

Valerie G.
on 3/29/19 12:03 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Xifaxan is an antibiotic and should be used sparingly. It is killing ALL of the bacteria in your intestines (good and bad). This is fine for a clean slate, however the next step is to rebuild your bacteria colony with the use of probiotics. Continued use of any antibiotic builds up resistance which will hurt you down the line when you really need it and it stops working.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Sunshine16
on 4/1/19 7:18 am

What helps me with odor is Diet, and a strong Probiotic. Plus whe. Your stool is loose, it causes a smell. I need Iron so they also contribute to a not so loose stool...

I eat stratight soda, or candy...all that sugar contributes to the odor

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Eliza970
on 4/2/19 11:23 am

This is a unique antibiotic that does not leave the GI tract and doesn't cause systemic bacterial resistance. It is best used cyclically--some time on and some time off. The generic name is Rifamixin. It is used in irritable bowel syndrome (diarrhea type) and SIBO and it works against inflammation in the gut as well as bad bacteria. I think it is a brilliant idea to extend this irritable bowel treatment to DS. I would be interested in any side effects you have and whether the drug affects absorption of vitamins or minerals or protein (if your labs change dramatically). Definitely keep us informed!

DaveV64
on 4/8/19 10:18 am

This has worked well so far. I spoke with my surgeon (Dr. Gagner) and he said that as we get older out gut changes and this was a needed treatment. He explained that typically they use Flagyl which is stronger but this may work and has no side effects, and it is milder than flagyl. He did say that I will need to replace the good bacteria when this is complete. Does anyone have suggestions for the industrial strength good bacteria?

ShebasMom
on 4/26/19 9:46 am
Revision on 07/05/16

I'm taking Xifaxan for 28 days along with neomycin for 20 days for SIBO. It has given me diarrhea, which is a relief since I've been severely constipated for past year, that caused 2 painful rectal fissures. I've had IBS-C for over 20 years, but was able to treat it with Metamucil and Miralax until SIBO. I've finished neomycin and continue to have the diarrhea. The fat is separated from the remainder of the stool, giving the "oil slicks" that I've heard other people talk about, but never seen. My fat intake is moderate, but I've decreased it due to the diarrhea. One of my two "gut" antibiotics, blocks vit A and B12 absorption. I've temporarily stopped those two vits. I've been taking my probiotics during antbx treatment. One is Primal Defense Ultra and the other is Now brand, that contains the same strain as Florastor.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 137 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 679 views
Need help for my mom