Expert Panel on Revisions to DS

Eliza970
on 5/3/19 3:12 pm

Some heavyweight bariatric surgeons published a consensus view of when to use the DS as a second procedure. 29 surgeons contributed and the summary was written by surgeons, A.E. Merz,R.B. Blackstone,M. Gagner,A.J. Torres,J. Himpens,K.D. Higa,R.J. Rosenthal,A. Lloyd,E.J. DeMaria. You may or may not agree with their conclusions, but I think it is interesting how important they view the DS for revisions. They said it was increasingly more popular for revisions. This is the conclusion paragraph: "As a second-stage procedure, BPD/DS is most appropriate after sleeve gastrectomy (SG) for the treatment of super morbid obesity (96.7% agree) or as a subsequent operation for a reliable patient with insufficient weight loss after SG (88.5%). In a patient with weight regain and reflux and/or enlarged fundus after SG, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass is preferable and BPD/DS should be avoided (90%). BPD/DS should not be used prophylactically in patients with a history of jejunoileal bypass who are otherwise doing well (80.8%). Applicability of BPD/DS is limited by technical difficulty; 86.2% of experts would routinely recommend or consider the procedure if it were more technically feasible after failed bypass. No consensus was found on approaches to revision of BPD/DS for protein malnutrition."

larra
on 5/4/19 9:14 am - bay area, CA

Eliza, could you provide the reference for this article? Thank you!

Larra

TheWombat
on 5/4/19 2:27 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I imagine it's this article, although I haven't read it yet.

Merz AE, Blackstone RB, Gagner M, Torres AJ, Himpens J, Higa KD, Rosenthal RJ, Lloyd A, DeMaria EJ. Duodenal switch in revisional bariatric surgery: conclusions from an expert consensus panel. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases. 2019 Mar 21.

Eliza970
on 5/4/19 7:55 pm

Duodenal switch in revisional bariatric surgery: conclusions from an expert consensus panel

A.E. Merza,â?--, correspondence , R.B. Blackstoneb , M. Gagnerc,d , A.J. Torrese , J. Himpensf , K.D. Higag,h , R.J. Rosenthali , A. Lloydh , E.J. DeMariaj Published Online: March 21, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soard.2019.03.009 Publication stage: In Press Uncorrected Proof
larra
on 5/6/19 9:17 am - bay area, CA

Thank you both!

samuelw
on 5/8/19 2:06 am

Thanks for that

192.168.0.1 ip address

frank77
on 7/27/19 9:08 pm
On May 8, 2019 at 9:06 AM Pacific Time, samuelw wrote:

Thanks for that

Thank you.

Valerie G.
on 5/15/19 11:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I find this to make sense, but interesting that I only recognize Michael Gagner and Rosenthal as being actual DS surgeons.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Eliza970
on 5/16/19 6:31 am

Himpins is a DS surgeon who works in Brussels. He performed the first DS in Europe in 2001.

frank77
on 7/27/19 9:05 pm

Thank you both! Great answer.

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 98 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 98 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 649 views
Need help for my mom