Vitamin Deficiency

ABGMama
on 5/21/19 12:37 pm

Hi!

I am brand new to all this, hoping to have surgery in October. As I am deciding between VSG and DS, the big scary thing for me is vitamin deficiency. For those of you that are years out, how have your labs been? Does anyone know how common vitamin deficiency is in the DS? Thanks!!

Janet P.
on 5/22/19 6:19 am

Because of the malabsorption that comes along with the DS, vitamins are a key part of our everyday life. I take vitamins three times a day - and will for the rest of my life. Vitamins are not an option. Neither are annual labs - first couple of years I had labs drawn every 6 months).

I'm 16 years post-op of the DS. I've had iron deficiency anemia, which is kept in check with iron infusions and my monitoring my labs. I've also recently been diagnosed with Osteoporosis (this has been a gradual decline for the last 10 years - but I'm also 62 years old). I've also struggled with D (which is currently maintained by taking 150K of D3 every day).

I think we're all susceptible to deficiencies. I have always been good with vitamins and labs, eating healthy for the DS, etc., yet I still have deficiencies. Others may never experience deficiencies by taking the minimum amount of vitamins.

You're probably going to hear different stories. That's where you have to make the best decision for your situation. For me the DS was the only surgery I would consider - I was super morbidly obese and was determined to maintain my weight loss, which I have. I'm still within 10 pounds of my goal weight and my tool still works if I need to lose a few pounds. There is no malabsorption with the VSG so I believe deficiencies are less of a risk, but that also means that you have no malabsorption to help with maintenance after reaching goal.

Good luck with your decision.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

larra
on 5/22/19 12:12 pm - bay area, CA

Vitamins are a non-negotiable part of the DS. Most of us do very well as long as we accept that fact, supplement as needed, and follow our labs to adjust our supplements as needed.

I think it's a whole lot easier to take a bunch of vitamins every day (several times a day for calcium citrate) than it would be to lost as much excess weight as possible AND keep it off with just a restrictive operation like VSG. We see new people with VSG all the time asking about revising to the DS because they never lost enough weight and/or gained a lot back. So yes, vitamins are more of an issue with the DS, probably a lot more, but weight loss is much easier and far more lasting. We each have our opinions, but personally, I would be a lot more concerned about weight regain than about taking more vitamins and following my labs carefully.

Larra

Eliza970
on 5/23/19 2:17 pm

I am 13+ years out and DS was the right decision. I am 100% compliant with daily vitamins and have not had vitamin related health issues other than ferritin deficiency (corrected by infusions) or osteopenia (but I am 67, and it is age related). I picked DS for health. Eliminated diabetes, hypertension and joint pain. I picked it because of long term efficacy. My niece had VSG at 359+ lbs and lost maybe 100, only to regain it all and then some. Fact is DS provides significantly superior excess weight loss in morbidly obese people over VSG over the long term. I started at 285, and lost 150, maintained more or less -135 lbs over time. If I had been 210, I might have considered another procedure.How confident are you that you can maintain weight loss by permanently eating fewer calories for the rest of your life? You can out-eat DS, but you will pay a price in quality of life with diarrhea, gas, etc. it has been effective discipline for me. DS requires you to be devoted daily to supplements, but it's only a few minutes a day. It does cost money though, perhaps $500/year or more for vitamins. It does mean you will need health insurance consistently, because vitamin testing without insurance can be more than $750/ year. Being morbidly obese is expensive too in terms of health care, food costs, clothing costs, employment discrimination etc. there are pros and cons, but I wanted to "cut once" and have the best chance of permanent weight loss. Good luck with your decision. My surgeon said DS should be restricted to people who are smart enough to keep up with vitamins and who know the risks of getting lazy about it. The fact that you are asking these questions is a very good sign.

Liz J.
on 5/24/19 12:09 pm
DS on 11/29/16

I was you back in 2017, I went for the DS and I'm so glad I did! My vitamins are easy to take and cost less than $45 a month, $15 less then my prescriptions I no longer take! YAY!! I didn't know a lot about the three different surgeries my doctors office offered, I did know a couple of people that had the VSG and were having a revision to the DS. So once I talked with my surgeon, I looked up the DS. I looked a worse case scenario for both surgeries, regain, vitamins, and long term success.

I had the DS and I've surpassed all my goals, off almost all my medication (only one left after being on 9!) and I can do almost anything I want, nothing is holding me back!

Hope this helps.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 242 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 730 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views