Eat Normal Foods

seimone123
on 6/9/19 9:13 am

Hello,

Can someone please tell me if you are able to eat regular foods. Like for holidays or special occasions.

(deactivated member)
on 6/9/19 11:02 am

I eat anything I want anytime I want. There are a very few items I avoid as they cause gas and bloating if I eat too much - carbonated drinks, regular milk and similar heavy duty dairy like soft cheese.

I still eat them and drink soda but I do it sparingly unless I'm ok with gas for the next 8 hours.

PattyL
on 6/9/19 2:52 pm

Sure. I can eat anything I want. Holidays are my cheat days and I eat whatever I please and as much as I want! The rest of the time I am low carb/no sugar.

Beam me up Scottie
on 6/9/19 6:21 pm
Yes 100 percent normal.

Scott
seimone123
on 6/10/19 6:38 am

Scottie thank you

Janet P.
on 6/10/19 9:46 am

I'm 16 years post-op and I only eat "regular" food.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

seimone123
on 6/10/19 2:35 pm

Hi Janet,

Have your weight stayed off in 16 years?

Thanks

Janet P.
on 6/11/19 8:38 am

It has. I'm still within 10 pounds of my original goal weight. Last year my weight did creep up a bit (10 additional pounds), but I cut the simple carbs out for a couple of weeks and the extra poundage was gone and has stayed away.

I eat high protein (minimum of 120 grams per day) and get all my water in (minimum of 72 ounces) every day. I also take my vitamins every day. I do eat a substantial amount of carbs, but always protein first.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

califsleevin
on 6/11/19 10:11 am - CA

At our support group years ago, one of the post-ops was telling "his story" and noted that after going to several different bariatric seminars he stopped at ours and noted someone in the group munching on an In'N'Out burger. He asked them if they had had this surgery (the DS), yes, and they can eat that, yes. OK, this is the surgery for me!

Of course, this would not be a staple, but as an occasional thing, sure (though some would have a problem with the bun - white flour things seem to go right to the farts for many.)

A few years ago, the restaurant where we were meeting for our support group closed without notice, so we went around the corner to the pizza place instead. Dr. K bought a couple of pizzas, some ordered on their own with a salad or sandwich (but still typical pizza joint fare) and all was fine. Again, not something one would choose for a regular thing, but it worked in a pinch without distress.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Noodle65
on 6/11/19 7:56 pm
DS on 10/18/12

I am nearing 7 years and I eat everything including diet soda. I drink coffee with tons of heavy cream and brown sugarI start everyday with a green smoothie with kale, 75g unflavored protein, flax. Chi, blueberries and mango.

I always make sure I get 125+ of protein and presort my vitamins 3 months at a time.

I have maintained 120 loss, started as a lightweight at 270ish at 5'8".

I love the ds.

Blessings

Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views