Question for you regarding DS

Liz J.
on 7/9/19 1:10 pm
DS on 11/29/16
On July 8, 2019 at 10:41 PM Pacific Time, glowalam wrote:

Do not do this surgery. I had it done in 2005. My life has been miserable since then with complications and issues. THe DS is too drastic. Please consider maybe the sleeve gastrectomy.

I went through TPN, severe malnutrition, have almost died on several occasions, lost my job due to illness and finally had it revised. I have severe gastroparesis now. Please do not do the DS

The people with great success far out number the ones that have had complications. This is still the Gold standard of WLS all over the world.

HW: 398.8 SW:356 GW: 175 CW:147

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/19 2:50 pm

liz you are not informed. Do the research. The gastric sleeve is the gold standard. My surgeons I work with look at me inhorror when I tell them I survived this nightmare. It is not gold standard.

You are grossly misinformed I am a nurse and I have sent 6 bodies to the morgue in the last 15 years post this surgery. They have banned it in my state!!!

velouria
on 7/10/19 6:28 am, edited 7/9/19 11:29 pm

Which state is that? Also can you provide any credible links to back up your random claims?

HT: 5'4"    HW: 190   Starting  BMI: 32.6   CW: 131   Current  BMI: 21.6  

Eliza970
on 7/10/19 6:31 am

Which state? No state has banned duodenal switch surgery, which as you know as a nurse is true, because states don't ban specific surgeries. I am sorry for your experience, but every patient facing surgery has to assess risks and benefits. Picking the right surgeon and being a 100% compliant patient with aftercare are important parts of the risk-benefit decision. Speaking of research, this is a report on the 15 year experience of Marceau and colleagues reported in the journal Obesity Surgery: "95% of patients were satisfied with the overall results. Operative mortality was 1% which is comparable with gastric bypass surgery. The need for revision for malnutrition was rare (0.7%) and total reversal was exceptional (0.2%). Failure to lose >25% of initial excess weight was 1.3%. Revision for failure to lose sufficient weight was needed in only 1.5%. Severe anemia, deficiency in vitamins or bone damage were exceptional, easily treatable, preventable and no permanent damage was documented." For me, the long term benefits of gastric sleeve weren't sufficient, because I wanted to reverse my diabetes, and to not end up fat in 10 years, as my niece who chose the sleeve and has regained all her weight and then some. I am sorry for your experience, but it is unusual.

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/19 4:38 pm

My experience is not unusual. There used to be a forum that was taken down. I have spoken the truth and I don't have to prove anything to you or anybody else. I am an advanced practice nurse with 37 years of experience.

I have looked after many of these patients in my state who had repeated hospital stays with dehydration, malnutrition, short gut syndrome and ultimately those I personally sent to the morgue. Do what you have to do but this procedure is archaic and very very dangerous.

Get to know your doctors well. You will be seeing them quite a bit for the years to come. Good luck.

The anemia is not easily treated due to the malabsorption so IV modalities are required. oH did I mention you will likely lose all your hair also.

Good luck. You were warned.

Eliza970
on 7/10/19 5:39 pm

I gave you the stats that fewer than 2% have your outcome. I am sorry you didn't do well. We weren't healthy when we came to DS. I was very fat, very sick and if I hadn't taken the risk, I'd be dead.

1. I have had anemia needing iron transfusions. I attribute it to the wrong iron (I needed heme iron) and not taking it with vitamin C. Now, it's 2 years without needing iron infusions, so for me, it was doing the wrong thing. I could have done better if I had asked enough questions. So it's a matter of education, using the right iron in the right dose, with vitamin C with every dose, without dairy food.
  2. by definition we have short gut syndrome. Most of our small intestine is bypassed. Don't mess around with the DS. It isn't for people who want to just cut and go, and don't want to work at it. You have to drink fluids, eat protein, and think about it a lot. Fact.
  3. People who who are morbidly obese die early. I was terrified when I weighed 300 pounds and had diabetes. That's why I had Bariatric Surgery. No guarantee I would survive after surgery, but I had NO chance as super morbidly obese with diabetes and hypertension at age 55 who couldn't exercise. Sure, I might have died after DS, but I knew I was going to die early as a morbidly obese woman with hypertension and diabetes. I took the risk and it worked out for me. I knew I had a risk of not doing well, but I knew I was going to die without taking the risk..
  4. I don't know what you mean by archaic. The good surgeons evolve in their technique, but there are many patients who have done very well, including me. Patient selection is critical. Some patients should not get the DS if they aren't smart enough or compliant enough with aftercare. If you aren't going to work at it, stay away. I see my surgeon once a year and get blood tests twice a year. I work at it every day. I read studies all the time, I have a great bariatric nutritionist, and I ask a lot of questions. my surgeon says he wants an I Q test for patients, because DS is NOT for everyone.
  5. there are terrible surgeons, as you know as a nurse. Picking the right surgeon is the key to long term outcome. Please tell us who your surgeon was. He either had a very bad day, or he just shouldn't be doing D S.
  6. You are not the only one who hasn't had a perfect outcome. The stats are in support of taking the risk, in my view, but some people do not well despite picking a great surgeon. Good of you to point that out. But being morbidly obese is not a formula for a long life of disability-free years. Not a great choice, but the only one I had.

Going without surgery or having surgery is a tough choice. Too bad we weren't naturally thin. If DS want available, I would have had a different procedure. But without DS I would either be fat again, or on insulin for my diabetes, or dead. No good choices, but being morbidly obese was a greater risk.

I am a lifelong healthcare professional. I went into the operating room hoping I would come out ok. I did and I am so sorry for you. I could have easily had your outcome.

I see new people who have to make this choice. Good for you to say it isn't 100% perfect, but good for them to know what risks to take. Be well. Thank you for contributing your experience.

Liz J.
on 7/11/19 7:47 am
DS on 11/29/16
On July 9, 2019 at 9:50 PM Pacific Time, glowalam wrote:

liz you are not informed. Do the research. The gastric sleeve is the gold standard. My surgeons I work with look at me inhorror when I tell them I survived this nightmare. It is not gold standard.

You are grossly misinformed I am a nurse and I have sent 6 bodies to the morgue in the last 15 years post this surgery. They have banned it in my state!!!

This is you telling me, not only was I not informed, I was grossly misinformed. And you lied about it being banned in your state, maybe you just feel it should be banned. I won't argue with you, I just have a different option than you do. Honestly, it doesn't matter that you're a nurse, you have no idea what my background is or what I do for a living.

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/19 4:45 pm

O really do not care who you are, what you are or what you do for a living. You are inconsequential.

Bye Bye birdie.

Liz J.
on 7/12/19 6:03 am
DS on 11/29/16

(deactivated member)
on 7/9/19 2:52 pm

Please seek out a few opinions before having the DS. I have had serious consequences. I am a RN. I should have known better. I have very serious issues some years later as a result.

I would not advise the DS

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 274 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 748 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views