Ridiculous Misconceptions after WLS

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/19 9:19 pm

I thought I'd post a few utterly foolish misconceptions I had after WLS that proved to be quite foolish. Feel free to add to the list:

1) Laying down to sleep triggered flatulence as my colon started to process the days food intake - The reality was I ate dairy before bed :).

2) After losing the weight and getting down to my college size, I'd look and feel very similar. In reality, I was the same guy post surgery with the fat deflated out of my body. Something like a wrinkly balloon after a lot of the air was let out.

3) Being thin would solve most of my problems. In reality, it helped a lot towards living a more healthy lifestyle, but any personal baggage I carried into the hospital came home with me; with some flatulence added for good measure.

sheryl49
on 9/11/19 1:32 pm

Ha ha, I love this. When I had my DS I was 53 years old and single. I thought that after I lost the weight that I would once again look young and beautiful, start dating, and meet the man of my dreams. Really! I even bought candles at a candle party that I would use when my dating began. Had it all planned, and the key was my new thin figure which somehow would transform my face to look around 30 years younger, I swear. Sadly it didn't happen that way and I'm back down to earth. No men beating down my door, but my thin body is ready for them if they do, but of course the wrinkles in my face remain. I laugh at myself, how ridiculous I was. But happy I got the DS, oh so happy.

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/19 2:44 pm

I was also 53 when I had the surgery 5 years ago. I thought I would be younger looking and studly with woman gazing at me all day. I found out the wrinkly skin made me look old, and woman in nursing homes found me irresistible.

airbender
on 9/12/19 6:05 pm

this is too much

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Janet P.
on 9/12/19 12:17 pm

This is brilliant. My biggest misconception was that I would suddenly be a very social, active person. In reality, I'm just the same lazy person I was just thin.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/19 11:04 am

You forgot being able to play the piano after WLS.

PattyL
on 9/12/19 4:07 pm

I had this picture in my head of what I looked like at X pounds. And even though my rational brain knew damn well that I was decades older...my irrational brain still thought I would look like that again at X pounds. And, of course, I didn't.

White Dove
on 9/13/19 4:35 am - Warren, OH

Your post is the funniest thing I have ever read about weight loss. It is also the truest.

After twelve years, this is the advice I would give someone who actually asked for my advice.

You need to change more than the number on the scale. Lifting weights will help some with the deflated body, but plastic surgery is the real transformer.

Keeping active, getting lots of exercise, paying attention to clothing styles, hair styles, makeup, shapewear, healthy eating, and forcing myself to get out more and associate with others, these are the things that were my life changers.

Think about movie star type people. They spend a lot of time, energy, and money to keep their glamorous looks. People are willing to invest $40,000 in a car and will make an effort to keep the car running well and looking good. I think a similar investment in plastic surgery is a wise move.

Weight loss for me was the beginning of a journey to look and feel younger. That quest continues every day. I make better choices about food, exercise, and what I will do with my time. That is what is different now.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/19 11:03 am

I'd agree except for paying attention to the Shapewear and Makeup. It's not a good look for me. :)

White Dove
on 9/13/19 11:15 am - Warren, OH

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views