What I did on my late summer vacation

PeteA
on 9/27/19 6:14 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Well there
is this....

I am just back from 8 days in Florida, eating right and biking twice a day. After 6.5 years I was OK with hovering around 220 but started working a little harder this year on exercise and diet. Truly I never thought I would see onederland. Not sure how long it will last now that I am post vacation but I'm thrilled I made it this far. Healthy, labs are good, Some left over issues from my pre-op diabetes days with my feet and my kidneys but not everything is reversable. No meds for diabetes, no BP meds, just thyroid medicine and a water pill ( for some reason I am prone to high potassium, hence the water pill). I started out my journey here and thought this was the best place to celebrate. So even after this long additional loss can happen of you want it to.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Noodle65
on 9/27/19 6:48 pm
DS on 10/18/12

Wow Paul wow!!!!

This is amazing and inspiring to me. October is my 7 year surgaversary and I stay around 160 with basically zero attention to my diet other than protein and vits. I eat any and all carbs.

I truly would like to get 10 to 15 off. Please share you diet and exercise program.

Blessings and congrats

Julie

PeteA
on 9/29/19 11:45 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

I wish that were the case for me. While I don't have to diet I can certainly gain from overeating carbs.

I'm guessing if you started to track your carbs and then figured out how many would be a 25% reduction you might see some change, hard to tell.

Typical meal day:

Protein shake 2 scoops Optimum Nutrition for a lazy mans breakfast (eggs if I'm ambitions, sausage egg McMuffin if I'm on the run -rarely though)
Lunch - lunch meat, egg salad, yesterdays hunk of meat, Rotissiere chicken, whatever is handy. Breaded chicken strips or some microwave meal heavy on the protein.
Snacks - Cheese, any time. Jack LInks Beef or turkey sticks, Crackers some times. Beef Jerky at night to help avoid crackers or chips.
Dinner - Boston Market, Roasted anything with potatoes, salad with meat added, things like that

While I can do a "refresh" to lower my carbs by going back to some of the meals from my first year or doing a couple of days on protein shakes I had a hard time mentally sticking to it.

I thought a group setting would help and there really aren't, that i found, any DS groups in the Cleveland, Ohio area I decided to go back to Weigh****chers ( or WW as they now say ) to see if that could help.

I like the group setting and the weekly weigh in as a better check than I do on my own. I don't talk about my DS but the mental / emotional issues are the same. I'm not a big fan of the "meditation and getting in touch with yourself" part but sometimes its' helpful. I've adapted the latest iteration of WW points to fit my DS. I never hit the points their latest "science" says should be my goal but the basic diet is very close to a protein first approach. Some proteins are zero points under their plan and I do all my proteins as zero points. The big difference is that I do not track fats and while they are OK with fats there are still some penalties built in that I easily ignore. That is the real reason I never hit their point goals (OK and I eat more that they would say is right). :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/19 11:01 am

Your other Onederland victory is no longer needing a scale that can handle 750lbs capacity.

PeteA
on 9/29/19 11:46 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Good one. :) My mind doesn't always agree. Sometimes when telling a new Doc or nurse my weight I will start with a 4xx and catch it because it is, up til now, a 2xx number.....

islandgirl55
on 10/7/19 8:38 pm

What an inspiration. Good for you.

RNY revision to Lap DS  Feb, 2016, Dr. Ayoola. 

HW 235/SW 184/CW 127

Kasiana
on 2/24/21 11:13 am, edited 2/25/21 1:15 am

That's for sure a great idea. You can also get some cool views along the way. It's always good to see people staying active while on vacation. I specifically love hitting the gym when I cruise as the personal trainers they have are superb! We went in 2019 on a cruise to the Greek islands with a transfer from the airport to Piraeus port arranged with the same agency we used for our Athens private Tours. One hidden secret if you ever take a cruise is to avoid the excursions onboard as they make money from you. It's better to contact a tour agency that's local yourself.

nashandra
on 2/25/21 3:43 am

That's great. It's always good to see people without condition scaling down.Congratulations.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views