Severe Nausea

50VICKIE
on 12/13/19 5:13 am
DS on 11/10/17

I am a 2 year duodenal switch post op. I have suffered from nausea the majority of my journey. It seems the nausea is dominant when I take medications. I make sure that I eat something before I take the medication but I still get sick. I also noticed that I get sick a lot when taking medication right before I retire for the evening. I take nausea medication but it makes me sleepy and I don't want to have to depend on it everyday for the rest of my life. Can anyone give me any info that can help lessen or alleviate this issue? Thank you for your input.

hollykim
on 12/13/19 10:48 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 13, 2019 at 1:13 PM Pacific Time, 50VICKIE wrote:

I am a 2 year duodenal switch post op. I have suffered from nausea the majority of my journey. It seems the nausea is dominant when I take medications. I make sure that I eat something before I take the medication but I still get sick. I also noticed that I get sick a lot when taking medication right before I retire for the evening. I take nausea medication but it makes me sleepy and I don't want to have to depend on it everyday for the rest of my life. Can anyone give me any info that can help lessen or alleviate this issue? Thank you for your input.

have you been checked for GERD? Excess acid can cause extreme nausea.

Dehydration also causes extreme nausea.

50VICKIE
on 12/14/19 2:13 am
DS on 11/10/17

Yes, I take medicine for Gerd. Also, I had a hernia repaired hoping that would help fix the issue. It seemed to help some but the nausea is still there. I am at my waist end hoping the surgery would help.i drink a lot but may need to drink more. Thanks for the info.

Janet P.
on 12/17/19 7:46 am

You should be drinking at least 64 ounces of water per day.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

goddessgrrl
on 1/22/20 7:44 am - VA

OT: I'm working with Dr. Elariny right now to schedule a revision of my RNY to bipancreatic without DS. I'd love to chat with you! I'm in Ashburn. Thanks in advance!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Laura in Texas
on 1/22/20 11:56 am

Why are you having a biliopancreatic diversion without DS? Is that done often?

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

goddessgrrl
on 2/14/20 10:24 pm - VA

You're right. I should have said biliopancreatic diversion without duodenal switch to revise my mini-incision RNY that was done 2/28/2012. I don't know if this is done often. Dr. Elariny is highly regarded and I feel comfortable with his recommendation. I had my pre-surgery endoscopy today and talked at length to the doctor. I had him explain to me in greater detail why I would not be getting a DS. I think he said I didn't need to have the duodenal switch because of the way my gastric tract is arranged now (after the RNY). Although I'm still a bit foggy about it and need to read more so I fully understand, the upshot is that he is going to redo my pouch to "tighten it up" (my term, forgive my lack of the correct medical jargon). I also have a Spigelian hernia which predates my RNY. He will probably repair that after he does my revision in a subsequent surgery. Today during the endoscopy he found I had Schatzki ring at the end of my esophagus near my stomach/pouch. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. When I know more I'll write more! Best wishes. P.S. My son is in Austin TX.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views