Help me get back on track?

HealthyGirl74
on 12/15/19 10:13 pm
DS on 02/08/14

Hi! I'm new here and thought I'd do a little introduction.

I had my DS in 2013. I got down to 140 lb, then stabilized at 150. I felt great! Then life happened and I allowed the carbs to sneak back into my diet. They're insidious little suckers, aren't they? Over the past few years I've managed to allow myself to get back up to 180.

I don't feel good anymore. I need to get 30-40 lbs off! I've moved a whole state away from my support group and the online groups I've found are all basically pre-op and new post-op, early in their journeys. I need some seasoned DSers to help guide me back.

I've forgotten the DS "rules". I've stretched my stomach out to the point I can eat a whole foot-long sub. My once wonderful DS tool isn't as effective as it once was. It's nobody's fault but my own. I just need a little help getting back on track.

I still take my vitamins and I have access to a gym and I have been committed to going five days a week.

I think I need to start by shrinking my sleeve back down. Does anyone have suggestions on doing this? After that, I need to get back to basics. What and how should I be eating? Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

thank you so much in advance.

meq815
on 12/16/19 7:25 am - PA

Hi there!

I don't post much, but I saw your story on one of the fb pages and thought someone hijacked my story!

I, too, had my DS in 2013, I'm 5'8" and got down to 137 from 270. Then, life happened, yadda yadda yadda and here I sit at 180. My goal and sweet spot is 160.

I know what to do, but I need the push and motivation!

Maybe we can figure it out together.

HealthyGirl74
on 12/16/19 10:33 am
DS on 02/08/14

Yes, absolutely! I'd love that! This morning I went to Costco to pick up some stuff so I can make freezer meals for quick high protein grab and go meals! I'll do chicken and asparagus, non-breaded chicken Cordon Bleu, meatloaf, ham/egg/cheese cups, zucchini spaghetti with meat sauce,summer sausage and cheese snack packs, Premier Protein shakes and nuts to snack on. I should work on shrinking my sleeve down again too, so I'll probably do lots of protein shakes for the next week, along with soft textured meals no bigger than 1/2 cup. I'm feeling motivated!

PattyL
on 12/16/19 8:58 am

I didn't get a great DS. I have a short CC compared to most but I never got any free ride. It has taken me almost 20 freaking years to get down to a normal BMI. I never had any plastics so probably I am there if you discount the loose skin I can't fix.

My life is basically Atkins induction diet. 20 to 30 carbs a day. Get the book. You can get it used almost anywhere. Have things like tuna and chicken salad available for snacking. Cheese and deli meat and always HB eggs. There is always something you can eat.

Stop buying carbs. Don't bring them into the house. Use low carb wraps instead of bread for your sandwiches. I use them for my pizza crust too. I bake them and use them for chips. They are in the tortilla section at the store.

Most people who are more than a few years out can probably eat that sub. Your sleeve is supposed to stretch over time. There is no magic reset button but you can start your new diet by doing a few days of meal replacement(NOT JUST SUPPLEMENT) shakes. Your choice and it will make your stomach feel smaller for a few days.

I can live this way because I give myself cheat days. Holidays and out of town vacations. I eat as I please and as much as I want. That way I always have something to look forward to and there is no eternal deprivation. Sometimes I have lists of what I want and other times I don't. Then it's immediately back to plan.

Best of luck!!!

HealthyGirl74
on 12/16/19 2:35 pm
DS on 02/08/14

Update, day 1:

So far it's going well! Got a bunch of DS friendly meal planning ingredients and snacks at Costco. Had a hectic morning, so I had to stop and grab Taco Bell. I got two regular beef crunchy tacos, ate one for a late breakfast and the second for lunch. I snacked on 4 oz shrimp and a premier protein shake. So far I'm at 63g protein and 31g total carbs. I'm feeling full, but not overly so and I'm not feeling deprived at all. NO GAS, which is nice. The carbs I've been eating give me the worst bloating and gas!

I'm logging my intake with the Baritastic app, which I like much better than the MyFitnessPal app I've used on and off for years. Baritastic is macronutrient based, which I think makes life easier, as all calories are NOT created equal, especially for us DSers.

As my low carb breakfast plans went out the window with my hectic morning, I'll have to watch my carb intake with dinner, so I don't go over 50g. I think I'll make meatloaf with eggs and almond flour rather than bread crumbs, asparagus and mashed potatoes. I'll leave the mashed potatoes for the husband and kids.

I should end my day at 103g protein and 55g carbs. I'd say that's not so bad!

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/19 9:39 pm

I had the Sadi DS in 2014, and I can also eat a footlong without a problem. I think that's true for many people. The exercise is usually great for health but it probably also keeps an extra 5 to 10lbs on your frame.

HealthyGirl74
on 12/17/19 1:55 am
DS on 02/08/14

It's comforting to know I haven't broken my DS by eating too much. If I get some good muscle mass weight, 160 is a good weight for me. I'm not too concerned with the number on the tag in my pants or the number on the scale. Those are just a guide to show I'm moving in the right direction. Really, I just want to feel good again.

White Dove
on 12/16/19 10:40 pm, edited 12/16/19 2:40 pm - Warren, OH

Whether it is DS, RNY, VSG, or some other variation, weight loss surgery magic lasts for about 30 months. By 36 months, most people have regained 20 pounds. They keep gaining until they start to diet again.

After the easy after surgery weight loss, you have to follow a diet. It might be Vegan, intermittent fasting, Keto, low carb, counting calories, Atkins, Jenny Craig, Weigh****chers, or something else. I have been on a diet since 30 months after surgery. When I just eat what I want, I gain weight. When I stick to a diet, I lose.

Just like before surgery, except now the dieting does work.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

HealthyGirl74
on 12/17/19 2:07 am
DS on 02/08/14

Yes, you're right and the dieting working is the whole reason I got the surgery! I feel so much better when I follow a high protein, low carb plan. I don't want a temporary diet and, honestly, I don't care about the numbers. I just want to feel good. That formula for me, that lifestyle, is more than the number on the scale. It's also limiting carbohydrates because too many carbs not only makes me bloated and gassy, it also bogs down my energy. A sedentary lifestyle also bogs me down. If I'm moving my body regularly, I feel better.

Janet P.
on 12/17/19 7:45 am

Back to basics. I can eat a whole sub too but it's all about choices. It's all about the carbs (as you have already figured out). Here are some of my tricks:

Understand the type of eater you are and adjust your lifestyle to fit that type of eater. Where are your added carbs coming from (candy, cookies, pasta, etc.) Make a conscious decision to limit those.

When I eat bread/rolls/bagels, I ALWAYS scoop out all the insides and leave the shell (including subs, bagels, whatever).

Always, always eat protein first.

Snack on protein.

Plan your meals - know what you're having for breakfast, lunch, dinner.

Read labels - know exactly what you're putting into your body.

Count protein grams and carbs.

Plenty of water - minimum of 64 ounces per day.

Your DS tool still works. My sleeve is totally stretched and I'm OK with that - it's all about the choices.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views