What's the limit?

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

TheWombat
on 12/19/19 7:34 am
VSG on 06/11/18

That depends on what type of diet you're following. Generally speaking, there are two types of diet, which use different mechanisms to lose weight.

• low calorie: which for WLS people means high protein, low fat and generally no restriction on carbs
  • low carb: which for WLS people means high protein, low carbs, and generally no restriction on fat

The medical research indicates that these two types of diet are equally effective, so the recommendation is to choose the one that's easier for you to follow, because you're more likely to stick with it.

If you're on a low carb diet, let us know and you'll get more specific recommendations.

I follow a low calorie diet and have been very successful. I don't worry about carbs.

PattyL
on 12/19/19 9:45 am

I try for 20 to 30 per day.

White Dove
on 12/19/19 1:55 pm - Warren, OH

Dr Atkins started low carb, high protein dieting. He said that low carb gave a 10% advantage. Which means if you lose 10 pounds on high carb, you would have lost 11 on low carb.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

scaryreader
on 12/19/19 6:04 pm - Chicago, IL

Ok, I really like salads. In particular Wendy's apple pecan salad. 560 calories, 24g fat, 52carbs, 7fiber & 38g protein. I've been eating 1 a day. I also like baked tilapia fillet. A small fillet is about 3oz I think. 110calories, 23p, 2.5gfat & 0carbs. I eat about 4 a day.So nutritionally how am I doing?

I'm 13yrs out and I'm up to 164lbs and I really want to get down to 140.

Eve
hw:400+
sw:340
cw:163

White Dove
on 12/20/19 1:56 am - Warren, OH

If that was truly all you were eating, you would weigh about 100 pounds. In order to maintain 164 pounds, you must be eating another 640 calories a day. Track everything you are eating every day.

It takes 10 calories to maintain one pound of weight. Your fish and salad are 1000 calories combined. To stay at 164 you need about 640 more calories a day.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Janet P.
on 12/20/19 9:14 am

Eve - as a DSer your needs are different than RNY or VSG.

I'm 16+ years post-op and the only three things I look at are protein, fat and carbs. I eat a minimum of 120 grams of protein a day. I eat full-fat everything. I don't really "count" carbs. I probably consume somewhere between 200-300 grams of carbs per day to maintain my current weight. If I notice my weight creeping up a bit, I simply cut back on the carbs. I know my DS tool still works.

It's finding the balance of maintaining my weight, keeping gas and bloating under control and getting in enough protein and water.

If you want to lose 20 pounds then you have to go back to basics - high protein, low carbs, and lots of water.

You have to find what works for you because we're all different.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/19 1:05 am

I agree completely. I never count carbs but I'm sure it's over 400 grams a day. Getting in a lot of protein, fiber, and a fair amount of fat is my daily priority. The food you mentioned above (Wendy's salad + Talapia) should be things you can eat all day long after a DS.

The carb monitoring is better suited by distinguishing between simple and complex carbs. The goal should more likely be to restrict simple carbs like high sugar content foods and drinks.

girl81
on 11/17/21 5:13 pm

Is that a typo? 400 carbs is 1600calories. Add "a lot" of protein and fat to that and your calories would have to be 3000 or more.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/22/21 9:18 am

Limit set by MY Dr was 20-50 , counting all carbs.w/ low fat and High protein, 90grams orig goal and i maintain that most of the time.remain within 10-15 lbs of goal after more than 2 decades. find what works for you. I never count calories. only protein and always carbs.fat tolerance is low. pouch reminds me if i eat too much.2-3 days of not counting carbs is a precursor to carb cravings which are really difficult for me to break...since blood sugar drops also accompany those.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 276 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 750 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 251 views