Is surgery right for me??

Johnsonmomma99
on 2/12/20 9:47 pm
DS on 03/06/20

I am 44 years old and weigh 181. I'm 5'3". I have always been smaller than I am now. I have always exercised and kept myself in shape. I severely broke my wrist 2 years ago and since then I have been struggling with my weight. I stopped going to the gym and was basically, depressed. Anyway, for a year now I've been going to the gym regularly and not much has changed. I feel better but look the same. I want to have the DS surgery. Has anyone else had it who is about the same start weight as me? I feel somewhat ashamed that I can't just drop the weight myself. I have tried keto, Atkins and it all comes back. I really feel like this surgery could change my life. Any thoughts? Thank you.

PattyL
on 2/13/20 7:37 am

We all tried diet and exercise. If it had worked we would not have had the surgery. My only regret was not having the surgery when I was much younger. Obesity is a disease, not a character flaw. Treat your disease.

hollykim
on 2/13/20 8:41 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 13, 2020 at 5:47 AM Pacific Time, Johnsonmomma99 wrote:

I am 44 years old and weigh 181. I'm 5'3". I have always been smaller than I am now. I have always exercised and kept myself in shape. I severely broke my wrist 2 years ago and since then I have been struggling with my weight. I stopped going to the gym and was basically, depressed. Anyway, for a year now I've been going to the gym regularly and not much has changed. I feel better but look the same. I want to have the DS surgery. Has anyone else had it who is about the same start weight as me? I feel somewhat ashamed that I can't just drop the weight myself. I have tried keto, Atkins and it all comes back. I really feel like this surgery could change my life. Any thoughts? Thank you.

have you done plenty of research on the DS? Vitamin supplements in a large quantity must be taken for the rest of your life. It is not a big deal, it becomes routine for most of us, but it is NOT negotiable. You can get in a world of trouble if you are not committed to this regimen of vitamins.
good luck in your decision making. I lost 122# and have maintained the loss for nearly 11 years. Single best decision I ever made for myself.

Janet P.
on 2/13/20 11:17 am

The DS is the most dramatic WLS you can have. Honestly at 181 pounds you are considered a lightweight for the DS. Hollykim also made several good points regarding the DS (lifelong commitment to vitamins, labs, protein, etc.). Do you have any co-morbidities? Have you talked to a surgeon about the DS?

Honestly I'm almost 17 years post-op and don't know of anyone with your statistics who had the DS. Just for discussion, I was 45 and 5'3" when I had the DS. I weighted about 320 pounds. I knew that the DS was really my only option based on my eating habits and the amount of weight I needed to lose. I lost 175 pounds in approximately 18 months and have maintained that weight loss for the entire time.

If you really want to have WLS I suggest looking at all types of WLS to pick the one that is right for you. IMHO the DS is way too much for the amount of weight you want to lose. You might want to look at the VSG (sleeve), which is a restrictive surgery (no malabsorption). I have a number of friends who have been very successful with the sleeve.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

White Dove
on 2/13/20 4:56 pm - Warren, OH

DS is not right for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Johnsonmomma99
on 2/13/20 11:42 pm
DS on 03/06/20

Why? Please, more information.... why isn't it right for me? Fat

Johnsonmomma99
on 2/13/20 11:44 pm
DS on 03/06/20

Sorry I don't know how to edit things on here.

White Dove
on 2/14/20 3:32 am - Warren, OH

You need to do a lot more research. Surgery is for morbidly obese. Insurance pays at 40 BMi. You are 30 BMI. You are obese by not morbidly obese. If you had surgery you would have to follow a diet and exercise plan to lose the weight. Most people lose about 100 pounds. Losing 100 pounds would not be healthy for you and no honest surgeon would perform DS on you. You need to find a good nutritionist and personal trainer and lose about 45 pounds.

It will be hard work and take a lifetime of dedication to healthy eating and exercise to keep the weight off, but you are no where close to a person who needs weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MizzzCee
on 3/1/20 8:44 am
DS on 12/17/18

The DS would be too drastic for someone your size. Sorry. It is the Cadillac of weight loss surgeries but not ideal for your situation.

catwoman7
on 2/14/20 8:41 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with the others. I don't think DS is the appropriate surgery for you. I would have considered it if my insurance covered it (it did not - it only covered RNY and VSG), but then, I started off at almost 400 lbs...

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 78 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 641 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 232 views