Revision from SG without re-sleeving

melanycair
on 7/2/20 12:52 pm
DS on 06/21/20

Hello everyone,

I had sleeve gastrectomy sleeve more than six years ago with 308 pounds. I managed to lose 130 pounds but it was a real challenge to stay at that weight. I had to follow strict diets and heavily exercise just to remain as it is which was already too much for me. During these quarantine times I had to gave up the exercise and let myself eat more freely. Which led a rapid weight gain and I decided to get a revision surgery. My stomach wasn't stretch so my doctor didn't re-sleeved it during the revision surgery to duodenal switch. It has been 10 days and I'm still on my liquid diet and I'm hungry. After my first surgery I had no appetite for months. But this time i have my appetite with all its might and this really scares me. Is not re-sleeving a common practice? Are there any people like me, if there is how was their process? Because I'm really afraid that I might not lose any weight.

White Dove
on 7/2/20 3:26 pm - Warren, OH

The average weight loss with a revision is 20 pounds. No matter what they do, it is not the same as the first weight loss surgery. Having switched to DS, I would expect you to have a lot more weight loss than average. You still will need diet and exercise, but the DS malabsorption should really be a big factor.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 7/3/20 5:02 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm guessing most of that "not hungry" feeling comes from having a smaller stomach and the reduction in hunger hormones - but you already had that due to your VSG, so adding the DS part isn't going to affect that. It just adds the malabsorption piece. I'm not a medical person, though, so take that with a grain of salt.

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/20 11:55 pm
KikiDee
on 7/27/20 6:25 pm
VSG on 06/27/16

Hello!! I just had the same thing! I had the sleeve about 4 years ago and lost the same 130lbs and got pregnant and gained 50-60 back. I just had the DS 5 days ago and yes I'm pretty hungry. I chew on ice and that seems to curb the hunger but not for long. I also have the worst headache that won't seem to go away. I have lost 21lbs (pre optifast prep) I did the prep for 1 week and lost 8lbs so it seems to be going pretty well in that aspect. However yes I am hungry!!! So so so hungry!! And I want coffee which I did not care about before. And I am in more pain and more weak than the last time as well. It has been a totally different experience this time around!

good luck and keep up the good work! We just have to keep in mind why we did this in the first place! Soon we will be able to eat again!

Bransoon
on 8/9/20 10:59 am, edited 8/11/20 12:35 am

Most Aetna HMO and QPOS plans exclude coverage of surgical WalmartOne operations, procedures or treatment of obesity unless approved by Aetna. Some Aetna plans entirely exclude coverage of surgical treatment of obesity. Please check benefit plan descriptions for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 101 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 651 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 233 views