273 / 138 / 148

chrisgavron
on 7/31/20 12:11 am

Thank you so much for posting Kate!

QueenBee7
on 8/18/20 10:55 am
DS on 02/04/14

Good Morning Kate & all you other old time "DSers" :

I need your help. I'm trying to go back to the drawing board with my current health issues. I had my BPDS back in 2014. I'm currently 107lbs struggling to gain weight.

Can anyone shed light on what they are successfully eating or should be eating that might help get my appetite back and rid me of the nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

You guys have been so successful - clearly I MUST be doing something wrong.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

kateseidel
on 8/19/20 4:30 am - NC

QueenBee7 - if you've got a separate thread, let me know - I'd hate for your question to get buried in my post and people can help if you give us a typical meal day.

Please don't think you are doing something wrong, you just have some very different challenges, and honestly, I might suspect some type of food allergy. I have never struggled with nausea or vomiting (unless I eat too much). Diarrhea is not an unusual "side effect" for BPD/DS due to the altered intestinal tract. Having said that, if I eat more than a single serving of any grain product, I will have a gas and loose stool issue. I just don't process grain well, any grain.

For me, sugar is the number one reason I will gain weight. It's not a healthy option, but if weight gain is your issue, you may want to look at upping your caloric intake to 4,000 - 5,000 calories a day, with at least half of them being sugar. Milkshakes are one of the best options for this (can you tell I have a history with ingesting massive amounts of sugar).

~And I think to myself, it's a wonderful life~ Louis Armstrong

Kate
BPD/DS - 2000 - John Rabkin
273 / 138 / 148

SGurvich
on 2/6/22 2:37 pm

Hi there

I had my DS about 15 years ago. Lost all the weight the first year, put about 20 pounds back, and then suddenly and unexpectedly lost not only the 20 pounds but a bit more. I am at 114 now, weight ranges from 112-119. For a while, although delighted, I was a little worried about the additional weight loss, but it seems to have stabilized now. I still eat protein snacks all day long, multiple little meals, and for the rest I basically eat what I want, knowing which foods are going to give me a bit of trouble. The weight loss may be because I have had quite a few GI issues over the years. I have severe GERD, as well as IBS, and I am prone to gastritis.
That is a change for me. In my younger years, if I got sick it was generally bronchitis. Now it is tummy related.

I would suggest grabbing a small healthy snack any time you are near your kitchen :-)

Randa S.
on 9/14/20 10:47 am - Fredericksburg, VA

Hiya Kate!

It's been a minute since my last check-in, as well. 6 years ago I logged in to post my plastic surgery dates (skin removal) but nothing else in years. Every once in a while, I remember this amazing community and am grateful that my weight loss journey, at least in the very beginning, is forever logged.

I am 17.5 years post DS - 240/127/24.0 (up about 5 pounds due to the COVID19 equivalent to Freshman weight gain ?)

I actually logged on today because I'm seeing a new primary care doc this week, and was looking for information to give her about the DS. I've repeatedly found that doctors - including gastroenterologist - have little to NO knowledge of the DS surgery. If I'm lucky enough that this new [to me] physician/practice has had experience monitoring and/or treating DS'ers, that's great. However, if experience has taught me anything, she won't understand the very real differences between our DS anatomy/needs and those of the RNY population.

Thanks for sharing your story with us and starting this thread so other old timers, like me, can jump on your bandwagon. ?

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views