Can DSers Take Fosimax?

Noodle65
on 8/21/20 1:18 am
DS on 10/18/12

I just finished 2 years on Fortero for full blown Osteoporosis. Now i need a follow up med ro solidify thre bone growth a gained. My endo immediately assumed that I could not take an oral medicine due to potential ulcers like a by pass. I am concerned about all the ste effects of the injectable like Prolia.

Anyone take foxsmax?

Thank you in advance

Julie

catwoman7
on 8/22/20 5:58 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Neither my PCP nor my endocrinologist wanted me to take an oral drug because of my bypass. I'm on Reclast, another injectable. A friend of mine who's a retired physician said she actually likes the injectables better - her patients seem to have fewer issues with them than they do with the oral drugs.

califsleevin
on 8/23/20 10:44 am - CA

My wife (DS class of 2005) was on Fosimax for a few years and has now shifted to Prolia without any side effects.

Ulcer concerns are primarily an RNY thing owing to its unique physiology (the part of the intestine where the RNY stomach pouch is attached is not resistant to the stomach acid like the duodenum, which is bypassed along with the remnant stomach in the RNY, so that anastomosis is prone to ulcers.) This is why the RNY has an extreme NSAID sensitivity which are reasonably well tolerated with a DS or VSG.)

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Janet P.
on 8/24/20 1:23 pm

My doctor wants me to try Prolia. Glad to hear about the little side effects.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Janet P.
on 8/24/20 1:23 pm

If you had the DS you did not have a bypass. I've tried Reclast which didn't work. Now we're going to try Prolia.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 247 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 733 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views