Lightweight DS

lightweightds
on 10/30/20 6:31 am

I am so terrified....

But also grateful for this forum and folks who have travelled this road ahead to report back both hope and sanity.

I had the VSG, weighing in approximately at 185 pounds back in 2015. I was almost 200 at 5'1, but lost about 15 pounds before surgery. I did great for about 3 years (125 was my home for awhile) and then increments of 5-10 pound shots, I rose up again and now weight 168.

I firmly believe obesity is a disease and that our bodies, maybe more nature than even nurture, hold onto fat much more effectively than others. I don't think it's just this simple minded "move more, eat less," equation that is the recipe for success.

So I decided, I could sit around at 40 years old and watch my weight skyrocket back to 200 and perhaps plus, or do something about it. Now, most people will say, start working out and eating right you lazy porker. But, not only have I done this (I recently started to work with a personal trainer 2 times a week as well), and I've found that the type of diet I would need to be on in order to stay in a normal BMI range is unrealistically unsustainable. There, I said it, I know most of America wants us fatties to "get our act together" and "just be more disciplined" and lose the weight. Diets do not work, but adherence to a different lifestyle vis a via the DS is obtainable, a hard road, but possible nevertheless.

But I am scared. I know, it's normal. The diarrhea, the keep-up with protein (hello carb junkies out there), focus on hydration, the surprise runs to the bathroom before you poop your pants (oh ****z we are in a pandemic, where is an open bathroom anyway if you are out and about in public!?! Yikes.), the vitamins. I am mostly scared I am making poor decision because at 168 (albeit a little 5'1 meatball) it's really hard for folks to muster any kind of real understanding for why someone not way way tipping that scale would DS it. You know? It's like "omg, get it together, how sad she has to mess with her intestines." (said in a very valley girl accent, without say)

The vitamin regimen scares me, the annual obligatory lab work, DS is not a set-it-forget-it lifestyle and from my research, really requires serious adherence. VSG is much more crockpot, but DS is higher level tool. I also don't hear from folks (I think, and correct me if I am mistaken, but the first DS was in 1988?) who are over 20+ out there. Life expectancy? Considering my BMI is not 40 and above (yet, I am aware this is a progressive disease), it is easy to debate this back and forth, agh...I am driving myself a little nuts and damn it...I am terrified.

Sound off with reassure (or not) should the post compel and time allow.

PattyL
on 10/30/20 11:00 am

Well, you know you better than anyone else does. I was in the same boat. I could do a 500/600 cal per day diet and lose weight very slowly but eating that little was not sustainable for me long term. I couldn't keep off the weight. I am a superabsorber. Probably just like you.

I had the DS almost 20 years ago and I would do it once a year if I had to. Being a superabsorber makes you less likely to have serious deficiencies and I have yet to have one. I have never had a problem postop. I do take my supplements and it is just a habit. Not a big deal. I just do it.

I never got much of a free ride. I still have to diet and I have just accepted the fact that I am low carb for life. If I do what I am supposed to do, my weight is manageable. I can't cope with eternal deprivation so I give myself cheat days on holidays and out of town vacations. I have to have something to look forward to. On those days, I eat NOTHING healthy. Doing this makes it possible for me to stay low carb. Halloween is tomorrow(YAY) and I am probably having au gratin potatoes, pasta, and several desserts/candy. And I don't feel bad about it either because I have not eaten ANY crap food since Labor Day.

I am now an old bag. I just look like a normal old bag. All these freaking years later, I am STILL trying to get down to a normal BMI and OMG...I am so close I can taste it. For the first time, I think I will actually make it before I drop dead. The shock will probably kill me...

Anyway, if I was in your shoes, I would do it. Good luck!

hollykim
on 10/31/20 12:19 pm, edited 10/31/20 5:19 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 30, 2020 at 6:00 PM Pacific Time, PattyL wrote:

Well, you know you better than anyone else does. I was in the same boat. I could do a 500/600 cal per day diet and lose weight very slowly but eating that little was not sustainable for me long term. I couldn't keep off the weight. I am a superabsorber. Probably just like you.

I had the DS almost 20 years ago and I would do it once a year if I had to. Being a superabsorber makes you less likely to have serious deficiencies and I have yet to have one. I have never had a problem postop. I do take my supplements and it is just a habit. Not a big deal. I just do it.

I never got much of a free ride. I still have to diet and I have just accepted the fact that I am low carb for life. If I do what I am supposed to do, my weight is manageable. I can't cope with eternal deprivation so I give myself cheat days on holidays and out of town vacations. I have to have something to look forward to. On those days, I eat NOTHING healthy. Doing this makes it possible for me to stay low carb. Halloween is tomorrow(YAY) and I am probably having au gratin potatoes, pasta, and several desserts/candy. And I don't feel bad about it either because I have not eaten ANY crap food since Labor Day.

I am now an old bag. I just look like a normal old bag. All these freaking years later, I am STILL trying to get down to a normal BMI and OMG...I am so close I can taste it. For the first time, I think I will actually make it before I drop dead. The shock will probably kill me...

Anyway, if I was in your shoes, I would do it. Good luck!

I love my DS 10 years down the road!

I have pooped my self very seldom, it has happened and that?s how o learned to never trust a fart. It had never been so urgent that I can?t get to a bathroom. I go first thing every morning and that?s usually it.
I will have loose stool and stinky farts if I eAt carbs. Otherwise I lean

toward constipation from the protein and calcium. That is also manageable.

i am very filigent with my vitamins. Have I missed doses? Of course not I get right back on schedule with the next dose.

wjat would you do if you developed type II diabetes that required several insulin shots a day to stay alive? I bet you would go it cause it?s a life saving treatment. So too, is the DS a life saving surgery. The cons are way way way less for time than the pros.

i also would hAve surgery o ce a year of that is whAt it took.

Jmm4321
on 11/4/20 7:55 pm

Being "Normal old bag" is awesome cool ð?'

White Dove
on 10/30/20 2:42 pm - Warren, OH

You have to decide what is most important to you in life and then go for that. If you get DS, then you realistically have to accept all of the things that you wrote about. At 40 years old, there is a good chance that you will be living with DS for another 60 years.

Just my suggestion. Why not try to go six months with no white foods? No potatoes, pasta, cookies, cake, chips, bread, flour, sugar, rice, or cereal. Eat dense protein and high fat only. Also no fruits and only non-starchy vegetables. This is what you will need to do for life to be successful with the surgery.

You may not lose any weight, but you will see how well you can handle that type of diet. Surgery is going to give you the malabsorption, but also the vitamin and bathroom issues.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

lightweightds
on 10/30/20 9:40 pm

Thank you both for taking time out to respond, I really appreciate your support and advice.

Janet P.
on 10/31/20 2:57 am

I was never scared of the DS. I am almost 18 years post-op but I was also in my mid-40's when I chose to have WLS. I guess I'm the opposite of PattyL - I've had issues absorbing certain vitamins even though I am very compliant with everything related to the DS and have been since before day 1. I've been at my goal weight for 16 of those 18 years and have no trouble maintaining my weight. I eat a ton of protein but also eat a ton of carbs - it's finding the balance that works for me. Sometimes I feel like my life revolves around food but I'm ok with that ;)

I have battled iron deficiency anemia for almost the entire time. I was fortunate to find a great hematologist who understood malabsorption and has worked with me for years. The last infusion has lasted almost 3 years :) I also have osteoporosis. I don't know if it's related to the DS or genetics - probably a little of both. I've tried Reclast but that didn't work. I'm currently working with my doctor to try another drug. I take a ton of vitamins and now that I'm approaching retirement age, I honestly think about how I'm going to maintain this when I'm 85-90 years old.

Yes you are a lightweight. Interestingly I am 5'2" (I used to be 5'3" but the osteoporosis) and weigh about 150. I am "overweight" according to the BMI calculator. IMHO the BMI is BS - it means nothing. Outside of the saggy skin (I did have a TT and a breast lift) life is good. You're 1 inch shorter and only weigh 18 pounds more than I do. How low do you expect to go with the DS?

I hope you hear from others who are in a similar situation as you. What I've read on these boards and heard from others is that some people don't lose as much as they had hoped for when doing the switch in two parts. No one seems to know why. Some are successful (losing the weight they wanted to), but some are not.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

lightweightds
on 10/31/20 3:45 pm

Hi Janet! Thank you for posting, I am hoping to get down to 120-125. Gosh, all this feedback is wonderful, thanks again.

lightweightds
on 10/31/20 3:50 pm

Thanks Patty, Janet, Hollykim, and White Dove! I so appreciate what all you ladies had to say, it's so great to have a community of people who have experienced life with the DS and can provided some guidance. I am currently talking with Dr. Ungson office and had a consultation over the phone with him as well.

hollykim
on 11/1/20 10:44 am, edited 11/1/20 2:44 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 31, 2020 at 10:50 PM Pacific Time, lightweightds wrote:

Thanks Patty, Janet, Hollykim, and White Dove! I so appreciate what all you ladies had to say, it's so great to have a community of people who have experienced life with the DS and can provided some guidance. I am currently talking with Dr. Ungson office and had a consultation over the phone with him as well.

dr ungson Did my ds and he and all his staff are excellent.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 361 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views