Lap Band to D-Switch

nicolesteen
on 6/12/21 9:13 pm

Hi y'all! Im in the process of getting approved for the DS with my insurance.

Somd background on me. I got the Lap Band back in 2010 and in 2011 I started to develop a hiatal hernia so I removed all restriction. Shortly after they, I moved to a very rural area out of state with no experts in bariatric patients (for at least 100 miles) and 799 miles away from my surgeon. I had lost about 50lbs with lap band. And I've continued to struggle with my weight since then. Losing and gaining.

Now I'm back in the city! And after talking to my original surgeon, he thinks d switch is the best option for me.

I have 100lbs I want lose. What is your experience with this surgery? Anyone go from lap band to DS?

Janet P.
on 6/14/21 3:59 am

I don't know about the revision from lap band to DS. The DS will probably offer you the best opportunity to lose but it will require a complete change in eating habits and mindset. You'll need to follow the high protein diet as well as research the types of supplements you'll need (for the rest of your life). Because of the malabsorption with the DS dry ADEK vitamins are necessary.

I had my DS 18+ years ago. I've lost all my excess weight and have kept it all. But I take lots of vitamins and supplements, get full labs done once a year, have a great primary doctor who is helping me with everything, and unfortunately deal with several issues that are directly related to the DS - I constantly battle iron deficiency anemia and I'm also being treated for osteoporosis. Not everyone will experience this (or other things) but it's something that can happen.

With all of this I wouldn't change a thing. For me personally it was the absolute right choice.

It's a great surgery but requires dedication.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

nicolesteen
on 6/14/21 10:12 pm

Thank you so much for your input. Im really nervous and excited to move forward with the DS. I'm also pleased to hear it's been around a while. I had never heard of it until recently but after reading many posts, there are several 10yr+ DS vets.

PattyL
on 6/15/21 11:22 am

There are more than a few of us pushing or past 20 years.

Noodle65
on 6/15/21 10:07 pm
DS on 10/18/12

In Oct 2012 I had my crap band removed, hiatal hernia repaired and the DS. BEST decision ever. I've maintained over 100 lost since with very little effort.

I take my vits and get my protien in. Very happy.

Julie

Noodle65
on 6/15/21 10:08 pm
DS on 10/18/12

In Oct 2012 I had my crap band removed, hiatal hernia repaired and the DS. BEST decision ever. I've maintained over 100 lost since with very little effort.

I take my vits and get my protien in. Very happy.

Julie

nicolesteen
on 6/15/21 10:58 pm

I'm so happy to hear this! I got my band about 12 years ago, but removed all restriction a lil after a year or so afterwards. I'm excited to get back on this journey!

Most Active