Old timers ?

sweetpotato1959
on 7/26/21 9:07 pm

ic4rest, PLEASE get your zinc levels checked..ASAP . that is the PRIMARY symptom of zinc deficiency, which is required with vitamin A for immune response.. One of the best items i have found to boost zinc levels quickly is Cold eze lozenges. taking one every other day until it begins to taste "off". when the levels are low it tastes like a had candy to me...taste changes as level comes to normal.... instead of tasting like berry just does not taste" right.".i use one or half of one to maintain m levels weekly.. easier than taking a tablet that may or may not absorb.

Denise
ic4rest
on 7/27/21 5:34 am - West Haven, CT

Hi Denise and thank you for this suggestion. I hate taking pills so I appreciate the suggestion for the lozenges. I'll definitely give it a try and see if it makes a difference in my sense of taste and smell. I did read that this is one of the effects of the VSG due to hormonal changes between the gut and brain but I will definitely try the lozenges anyways. Not being able to taste what I'm eating isn't fun.

Take care,

Maggie

losing it in connecticut 

Everingrace
on 9/13/21 10:49 am

I'm an old timer who pops in once in a while. Had my DS in 2004. I've kept off most of my weight except for about 20 pounds since my thyroid has gone out of whack. Considering that I lost 175lbs though, that's not too bad. I have the same issues with taste and smell, but I do notice they are worse now that I'm getting older-62. I think a lot has to do with that.

SharonG
on 8/9/21 10:34 am - Arlington, VA

I had my DS in 2003. I pop in here occasionally :-).

Lorraine N.
on 8/15/21 6:18 pm - esk, australia

Hi all, I had my Bpd/DS back in 2000; still around no problems.

Sunshine16
on 8/16/21 6:44 am

Had my surgery in 2010, overall no regrets. It just requirements me to take a lot of vitamins and supplements, plus stuff for my PCOS to maintain a healthy life.

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

~Truffles~
on 8/16/21 9:21 am - VA

I'm an old timer, DS 2/18/10, with a complication. I haven't been on board for a loooong time, still maneuvering the site and looking for anyone I was once aquatinted with.
Lovely meeting you!

Reigny

"Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself."  ~Rita Mae Brown
Carolyn T.
on 8/30/21 9:47 am

Hi, I had my surgery back in August of 2010. I haven't been on in soooo long, but have gained a bit since this pandemic and saw the newsletter today and came back on. I think I needed this, I remember you KitKat.... I think you used to review our labs for us and do evening check ins, right? I need to start this again!!! Let me know if you're still posting. I think I'm back!!

Carolyn

Tarragon
on 8/30/21 10:44 am

What does VSG stand for?

I had my DS in April 2010. Best thing I ever did. Now I hear this surgery isn't done anymore, is that true or did I receive bogus info? I have not looked into it yet to find out why. I know far too many people that had other kinds of bariatric surgery, lost weight, then gained it all back plus a lot more.

Janet P.
on 8/30/21 11:09 am
On August 30, 2021 at 5:44 PM Pacific Time, Tarragon wrote:

What does VSG stand for?

I had my DS in April 2010. Best thing I ever did. Now I hear this surgery isn't done anymore, is that true or did I receive bogus info? I have not looked into it yet to find out why. I know far too many people that had other kinds of bariatric surgery, lost weight, then gained it all back plus a lot more.

VSG - vertical sleeve gastrectomy

Just my opinion but I would assume the DS isn't done much anymore for several reasons - #1 too many people aren't or won't stay compliant with the lifetime commitment and #2 it's a difficult surgery and many surgeons just aren't experienced with the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 171 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 701 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views