Developed high cholesterol 10 years out. Confused.

ladybug513
on 12/16/21 12:03 pm - NY

I am a 53 year old woman who is ten years post DS. I never had high cholesterol my entire life until now. My total is 230 and LDL is 132. I lost 100 pounds and have kept it off. I have to eat constantly throughout the day or else my weight falls too low. I do strictly limit carbs so I eat a lot of meats and cheeses and dairy. I thought that with the DS that I did not have to worry about eating mostly high fat foods. The only thing that I can think of is that my absorption of fats has increased and therefore raising my cholesterol but I am 5'3 and remain between 100-105 for the past few years. I am estimating that I eat between 3500-4000 calories per day. Also instead of having loose or very soft stools they are much more solid and a bit less pale than before.

Has any other Community member faced a high cholesterol issue after DS? I am very confused.

First goal 120.0: 12/7/13  Final goal 115.0 (114.6):  2/6/14  

5'3  SW: 199 (12/11/11)  Current: 114.8 pounds  18% body fat   BMI: 20.3           

White Dove
on 12/17/21 3:43 am - Warren, OH

Most likely it is an inherited condition. Whatever caused it, the fix is low fat and treatment with cholesterol lowering medication.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

hollykim
on 12/17/21 8:10 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 16, 2021 at 8:03 PM Pacific Time, ladybug513 wrote:

I am a 53 year old woman who is ten years post DS. I never had high cholesterol my entire life until now. My total is 230 and LDL is 132. I lost 100 pounds and have kept it off. I have to eat constantly throughout the day or else my weight falls too low. I do strictly limit carbs so I eat a lot of meats and cheeses and dairy. I thought that with the DS that I did not have to worry about eating mostly high fat foods. The only thing that I can think of is that my absorption of fats has increased and therefore raising my cholesterol but I am 5'3 and remain between 100-105 for the past few years. I am estimating that I eat between 3500-4000 calories per day. Also instead of having loose or very soft stools they are much more solid and a bit less pale than before.

Has any other Community member faced a high cholesterol issue after DS? I am very confused.

I agree with white dove. BariStric surgery can't overcome all diseases that have an inherited component.

if it is in your DNA to have high cholesterol, you will have it.

Jmm4321
on 12/17/21 5:13 pm

It's incredible you eat so many calories and barely weigh 100lbs. I also eat a ton of calories and I'm extremely thin so I'm guessing I'm headed for a similar result. Like you I have no choice but to eat a lot or lose weight.

The cholesterol sounds like it's hereditary to me too, as mentioned above. Please keep us updated. Thx

sweetpotato1959
on 2/8/22 4:37 pm

I would limit as much fat as possible PLUS use olive oil , avacado and real butter exclusively... reasoning I read research,,some of the oils that have been labeled Healthy ... seed oils,esp. have been found to turn into transfats when heated- esp in microwave.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/22 8:49 am, edited 10/27/22 6:10 pm

You probably need to talk to a doctor about that and try to fund out the reason your cholesterol level is high. It might be a problem, and it might not, because some people just have higher levels of it, and it's fine.
You might also try to use some over-the-counter drugs for cholesterol, but you would need to choose carefully, and I still recommend talking to a doctor and finding out whether you need them at all or not. He might also suggest you try dieting to see whether these high cholesterol levels come from food or somewhere else. I usually rake Avas 10 mg in case of increased cholesterol levels.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 155 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 695 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views