I'm have duodenal switch surgery this Thursday

TattooMom
on 11/15/22 12:54 pm - SUGAR LAND, TX

I'm have duodenal switch surgery this Thursday and my question is how can I be less nervous my start weight is over 600 lbs

PattyL
on 11/15/22 5:26 pm

Nervous is normal! Best of luck to you!

FinallyBecomingMe
on 11/16/22 3:09 am

Im so happy you're getting your operation finally !!!
Youve GOT this !!!

Bring plenty of reading material with you, a phone charger, maybe some water flavoring if you prefer flavored water ... clean underwear toothbrush hairbrush and a sweater ( hospitals can be cold !)

And get ready to walk walk walk every half hour and blow blow blow ( it really helps heal and recover faster ) ... your fellow patients probably wont be walking the halls but it helps SO much if you do what your doc recommends - no risk of painful blood clots for instance .

And don't worry if you feel woozy headed for a few weeks afterwards - its a side effect of the general anesthesia!

Were all rooting for you to be safe and heal quickly and comfortably !

FinallyBecomingMe
on 11/17/22 11:31 pm

Howd U do Honey ?!

Waiting 2 hear from U .....anxious

TattooMom
on 11/18/22 8:29 pm - SUGAR LAND, TX

I'm doing okay still little bit of pain

FinallyBecomingMe
on 11/19/22 8:38 am, edited 11/19/22 12:38 am

Im so happy Youre doing so well and have officially joined the Losers Bench now!!!

Big hugs and a virtual giant bouquet of beautiful congratulations roses for You !!

airbender
on 12/3/22 7:29 pm

congratulations on your surgery....take it slow, keep sipping walking, drink protein shakes...etc

wishing you a speedy recovery so you can enjoy your kids!

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

rachtrex
on 1/17/23 3:19 am - Pacific Pines, Australia

yes i was just about to jump off the bed what if i never woke up well it was my only chance of servival though but they injected me and i was soon in LALA land. i hope you afre enjoying life now i had my surgery 21 years ago now and i have oly sat around about 79 t0 80kg since then wll they say to expect to puton 10% of the weight back on but i have only put 6% back in 21 years Ds ia the best surgery.

PeteW
on 1/23/23 7:21 am
DS on 03/09/23

Good Morning

I am scheduled for duodenal switch surgery on 3/9/23. I am having anxiety issues. I been on tik tok, IG, FB looking at videos, testimonials about the pros and cons. I am nervous about losing to much weight where i look sick. CW 352 my goal weight is 215-230. I more nervous about the post op that everyone says when the regret starts to set in. Any advice for me

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 1/24/23 12:33 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Hi there!

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I'm six months post op from SADI (modified duodenal switch) myself and was also a bundle of nerves going in. I personally have not had buyer's remorse for the surgery, not even a little. I'd tried unsuccessfully for decades to control my weight on my own. Surgery was my chance at a tool to make a difference while I still could. I got lucky with recovery- almost zero pain and no complications.

DS surgeries are the most malabsorptive WLS, so I'd reinforce being mentally prepared to ensure you take all of your supplements and keep up with labs regularly.

As to losing too much, I hear it can happen, but it's more rare. My manual says DSers control their weight with carbs, and I've seen some people post here with similar feedback. There is a balance you have to find along the way, and I'm definitely not far enough along to have my own feedback there yet (complex carbs reintroduced last Monday).

I will say that the way I've lost weight this time has been more uneven compared to my self-paced efforts. My face looks massively different and my cheekbones are showing more than they ever have. My knees are knobbier. And I still have the spare tire and hips to lose from. Advice from others here says that you may look more gaunt for a bit but that it evens out over time. Personally, I'd rather be working through it this way than continuing to deal with the extra weight and health conditions it was contributing to.

All of this to say, losing too much is uncommon, but can happen. If you work with your clinical team, they can help respond to things if you communicate with them regularly. It's good to research and be informed. Best of luck!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 171 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 701 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views