Labs after DS

Bobbi679
on 12/21/22 6:27 am, edited 12/21/22 6:33 am - Ballwin, MO

Would someone mind posting their labs after DS surgery? Do you have them every 6 months or yearly? I had it YEARS ago and honestly don't know which labs I should have done on a regular basis. The NP I go to doesn't always have me do the same ones. I'd like to take a list in to her and tell her "this is what is recommended".

:-)

Unfortunately the surgeon I had do the DS isn't in practice anymore, so I can't contact him.

Thank you in advance,

Bobbi

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 12/21/22 11:26 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Hi Bobbi,

One of the veterans can probably weigh in here since I know there have been comprehensive lists posted - they're just hard to search for and find if you aren't reading years of posts line by line like I was. I did find an article with the beginning of some lab work below, though it's missing some things I know I'm tested for (vitamins D, E, K, since they're fat soluble and regular A1C, etc.). There are probably more but I don't have a good tracking chart yet and am on mobile.

Here's the link to the OH article with some background, if it helps: https://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/vitamin-and-mineral-abs orption-with-the-duodenal-switch-ds/

My clinic's plan is to have testing annually once I get to that point but with follow up as needed. I'm already learning from folks here that your mileage and needs may vary. I've also seen some VERY comprehensive blood panel lists from folks, which may also be driven by their history over time.

Hope this helps a bit, and that you find a doctor who you can work with!

Annual Lab Panel for a DS Patient

The annual lab panel for a DS patient may include the following and need to be discussed with their doctor.
Total Protein, Albumin- determines protein absorption
Complete Blood Count (CBC)- hematocrit, hemoglobin, (determine anemia), white blood count (WBC) infection
Kidney function, creatinine, potassium
Liver Function tests, cholesterol (LDL/HDL)
Vitamins: Vitamins A, B1, B3, B6, B12, Folate, D25-OH
Minerals: Calcium, Copper (Ceruloplasmin), Iron, Ferritin (Iron Stores), Magnesium, Phosphorous, Selenium, Zinc
Thyroid (TSH)

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

califsleevin
on 12/21/22 5:12 pm - CA

Here is a link to Rabkin's annual DS labsheet:

https://paclap.com/downloads/AnnualDSLabOrders.pdf

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Jmm4321
on 12/22/22 11:29 pm

Is pretty much annual and you'll find a need to make modest adjustments almost every time. Early on for me, it was more Calcium Citrate, less Iron. Then more Zinc and Vitamin K. Then more D; wow it's even more K but everything else is ok.

You need a comprehensive blood panel every time and not every lab is capable to do all the tests, so verify in advance.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 234 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 726 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 243 views