13 year Update!

LIZA B.
on 8/2/14 12:32 am - GARNER, NC

Hello WLS family, the timing of this update is oh so special.  As of today I am 13 years post op of RNY.  I started my journey at 327lbs and lost 157lbs, including my tummy tuck.  That brought me down to 170lbs.  About 4 months after my tummy tuck, we found out we were pregnant with our 3rd child.  That was a bit of a blow, but I was so gloriously happy with that pregnancy because it was the first pregnancy I had that I wasn't super morbidly obese. 

After the pregnancy I had gained about 20lbs and maintained that weight for 6 years.  I truly believe my maintenance was due to the support group I founded in Connecticut.  I was not only accountable to a few people, I was accountable to over 100 people.  It fueled my motivation, and kept me on track. But then we moved to Florida, and I no longer had the support group.  Everyone here knew me at the new weight and I could eat whatever without any eyes watching over me. I was no longer accountable. 

In the years since moving to Florida, I've gained and lost another 30-40 lbs a couple of times.  I even got back down to 190, at one point and was thrilled.  Although, once again, I lost track and didn't pay attention.  Finally, this past April a cousin of mine decided to have VSG and it opened my eyes to this gift of a tool that I had just been letting sit there, and not picked up.  I decided to get on the scale, see how much damage I had done, and start my journey again.  I was dreadfully shaken to reality when I got on the scale and saw that I had ballooned up to 254.8 lbs.  How could I have let this happened?  I remember thinking all the things I had thought of myself prior to my wls. Yet, I somehow mustered up enough courage to say, "no more!" 

I was eating way too many carbs, eating Bugles for snacks and have popcorn almost every night.  I decided that the only thing I would change was to cut those 2 items out of my diet first.  I started in March and the following month I had lost 5lbs.  I knew that if I did what I had to do I would lose weight again and it would come off like anyone else.  In April I went back to hard core no carb eating, basically following an Atkins type eating lifestyle.  I'm ecstatic to say that since March I have lost a total of 30lbs and am now at 224.  Still, what seems like a world away of the 170, I had been but I'm doing it.  Everyday, one day at a time, sometimes 1 hour at a time, but I'm doing it.  I've given myself a goal of losing 52 more pounds by my birthday next August, when I turn 45.  And I truly believe I can do it.  I have the same motivation, I had when I had my wls, because I've become accountable to people again.  I've posted my journey to all my friends/family on facebook, and plan to keep coming back to OH so that I have a place to feel supported.

This Monday I will be taking a 4 day cruise and I'm a little concerned about it, but I've been reading a lot about what one can do when they are cruising.  I plan to stay on track, by making better choices and prioritizing what I want to truly try on the ship, verses what I can eat at any other time. Planning and awareness of what I'm eating will be key, and I think I can get through this, and still have a fabulous time.

Thank you all for reading my long post.  It's been a long while since I've posted on OH and it feels really good to be back. 

Muah! Liza

MercyQ
on 8/10/14 12:19 am, edited 8/10/14 12:21 am - FL

Hello Liza, congratulations on your accomplishments and restarting your journey!

I'm 7 years out, 2 years after surgery and having lost nearly 167 lbs (including plastics) the weight started to creep back. I too let my resolve slide a bit and came back to get support, encouragement and held accountable to try and loose almost 40 lbs that I have let myself gain back.

I'm hoping to loose 20 by December and the last 20 by next April, for our 25th wedding anniversary and taking a cruise in south east Asia.  I totally understand the "Cruise fear", for me cruising has actually helped and have actually managed to come home a few lbs. thinner due to the choices available and the activities, and because I can make the right choices; it's when I'm home and cook that I indulge, go figure.

I've gained and lost small amounts (5 to 10 lbs.), and I've managed to lose about 4 of these 40, but I'm having trouble staying focused. I've gone from a large size 12 to a full size 18  still in the "teens", but I'm so ashamed! The thought of the "20s", makes me shiver! I don't want to go there again!

I'm reassessing my diet choices at home, drastically reducing/cutting carbs and sugars and stepping up on exercise. 

Thank you for posting your story, it helps to know that we all need to keep working with our tool and to stay on track.

MercyQ. This is the Beginning of the Rest of my Life!!

lynnc99
on 12/7/14 7:16 am

Liza, I am also in Naples and also facing some regain head on. I was 257 at my highest, and 153 At my lowest. But just like you, the bad habits began to creep in again and I found myself up to 191. I am now down 10 lbs. and working hard to keep the carbs way down (I do allow myself 1 fruit a day and complex carbs such as veggies - but not the bread/crackers/cookies I had been eating.) 

its ts a funny thing. When w have our surgery, there is a lot of fear that wee face. 

And md when we regain, it is even more frightening, plus a heavy dose of shame and guilt comes in. 

2 wls friends of mine are complete inspirations as I turn the corner and head back the right direction. One completed the Philadelphia marathon 2 weeks ago. The second just returned from a climb to the Mt. Everest base camp. If they can do those things....I can drop these pounds!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 285 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1328 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1332 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1472 views