Long-ago WLS graduate looking into revision

DeeDee_Cole
on 3/28/12 7:36 am
Hello all!  I was once a "regular" on this board and have been advised today that because of medical issues (severe arthritis in my knees) that I need to look into WLS revision.   I need to find some support to get through this because I wasn't even thinking of the possibility of revision because I didn't think my insurance would cover it.....

I'm a bit frustrated and in a lot of pain - but since I am one that really trusts my ortho, I'm going to do what he tells me to see what (if anything) will help. 

I had RNY in 2004 and I guess I need to find out what needs to happen at this point....

Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!

Dee Dee
walterswife
on 3/28/12 1:27 pm
Have you maintained most of your weight loss?  Are you considering revising to the DS?  Not exactly sure what you have in mind.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

DeeDee_Cole
on 3/28/12 9:47 pm
I've gained about half back - and most of that in the last year because of a horriffic wreck that left me unable to be up and active with my regular exercise routine.  (broke all four extremities.)  

my doc has suggested to look into lap Band and called a doctor he's referring me to, but since I had RNY should I look to have the FOBI added to it instead?  This is just as confusing as it was when I initially was going through surgery.
Roxy2974
on 3/29/12 6:13 am - Austell, GA
My suggestion would be to research research and research. I would advise you to seriously look into all options especially the DS. Join a support group and visit all of the boards here. Unfortunately the GA board is basicly dead but a few check from time to time. Feel free to msg me if you ever would like to talk.

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
walterswife
on 3/31/12 12:25 am

How is your health now?  Are you able to exercise at all?  With the exception of the exercise, have you attempted to go back to square one to see if that helps?

I assume that since you originally chose RNY you felt you wanted or needed malabsorption.  I think the band might be a waste of time.

I suggest you contact Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta regarding a revision if you feel that you have exhausted all of your options regarding getting the bypass to work for you.

walterswife
on 3/31/12 12:26 am
What I meant to say was to contact Dr. Smith about revising to the DS.

MARIA F.
on 3/30/12 11:44 am - Athens, GA

I would not recommend the band to my worst enemy. I don't think fobi is a good option either. Research the DS if you want to revise.

What part of GA are u in?

FormerlyFluffy.com

DeeDee_Cole
on 4/2/12 10:56 am
Well at this point all of it has come to a halt...my insurance (which is not the same as it was when I had the original surgery done) has an exclusion.  Unless I can get my company to provide an exception - and self pay isn't an option - I'm just going to have to work on diet and exercise. 

I do work out regularly - and am actually a certified fitness instructor.   I had to take a leave from that when I was in my wreck last year and I'm just now getting back to the strength I was at prior to that time. 

I'm "hoping' That going back to basics will help me to lose - but my thyroid does now play a major factor in all of this.  I will be going to the Endo on Monday so just pray that I can find some answers somewhere. 

Thank you all for your input - and for those that asked - I'm in McDonough (South of Metro Atlanta).

Dee Dee
Jeannie A.
on 4/2/12 11:18 am - Stockbridge, GA
Dee Dee,
My Name is Jeannie and you know that I have a support Group at Henry Medical Center on the 4th Tuesday fo each month. I'm almost 6 years post opp and I'm doing very well for my self.
Jeannie Armstrong   
OH Support Group Leader
RNY 07/27/06 
sw358/ cw 175/ qw 175 to 160

I have been blessed with God's Help!

For those in GEORGIA come and join us at PEDMONT HENRY MEDICAL CENTER in the EDUCATIONAL BUILDING in Foundation Board room the 4th TUESDAY of each month at 6:30pm.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/jeannie4759_group/tab,0/page,1/#my_groups_main:1

Most Active