I NEED A REVISION

NY2ATL *
on 8/13/12 3:31 pm
I've been away awhile, I'm back in Atlanta. I've been doing fine weight wise. I happily made my goal of 125 pounds 2 years ago. I  was fluctuating about 5-7 pounds up or down, but maintaining!
Here's my problem:
I've had my band nearly 3 years and about 2 yrs ago started having digestive issues. Getting stuck alot, nauseous, vomiting and constant stomach pain. I had all the fluid removed from my band about 18 months ago, and toughed it out. I managed to maintain my weight loss til about a year ago when it got so bad I could no longer eat meats, chicken, fish, vegetables or low sugar fruits. ( I'm an avid low carber!) I was forced to eat soft mushy foods that were of course, much starchier. I started to gain weight and in about a year I've gained over 35 pounds. I was so depressed and I felt like such a failure. And so weak. I couldn't even face my surgeon, but it got so bad, I finally went to a gastroenterologist. He did an endoscopy, ultra sound and a barium swallow.
The verdict is my band has slipped, about 28 degrees,
I have several gastric ulcers (non H-Pyloric) and a hiatal hernia.
He advised removal of my band ASAP and coversion to RNY surgery. (I'm on GA Medicare and the Sleeve is not covered.) Has anyone had a problem getting revision surgery covered by GA Medicare if the first surgery caused medical complications? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
MARIA F.
on 8/16/12 8:58 am - Athens, GA

Hugs! I kind of thought you were having problems when you disappeared. The band does NOT work for most ppl long term. Usually complications start in just a few years. Join the failed band group. You can get feedback from a lot of others that have revised to to band failure.

Good luck!!!

FormerlyFluffy.com

LaShelle2
on 8/17/12 8:50 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey girl,

It's been forever since I've heard from you.  I am so sorry you are having a hard time. 

I have no clue what medicare will pay for. Perhaps you can speak with the insurance rep in a VSG surgeon's office, and she can advise you what they have been able to get covered for other patients.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.   It's so frustrating to hear another negative update about the "crap"-band.   I really think you ladies should ban together and file a class action suit. Their marketing materials are very misleading!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Roxy2974
on 9/11/12 9:38 pm - Austell, GA
Long time, I'm so sorry to hear this. I think u should call Medicare and speak to someone and I'm sure they can walk you thru it all, Call me,

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
Most Active