Had surgery 4 days ago

Jjt1180
on 1/18/13 2:14 am - GA

Hi I had gastric bypass surgery 4 days ago on Tuesday jan 15. I just got home from the hospital today and I am having such a range of emotions. I was so excited to have the surgery and now I am worried that this is going to be so much harder than I thought. I am wondering if anyone else felt this right after surgery and if it gets better? 

LaShelle2
on 1/19/13 2:31 am, edited 1/19/13 2:38 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Yes! 

For the first couple of months I thought I was gonna die!  I would read all these posts on OH from people who were drinking a gallon of water a day and zipping around the track and I barely wanted to get out of bed and force down a protein shake lol.  

I did not have any complications, but I just felt tired and depressed.  I was mad at myself for getting so fat that I had to do this (the wls) to myself.

And besides that I was in pain, couldn't eat what I wanted to,  had to figure out how to sleep comfortably, was terrified something was gonna come unstitched inside (lol).   And dang, if I was that miserable, why wasn't I skinny already?  :-) 

I was very blessed to have OH members Izzy, Curvy Barbie, and Ginger to call on.  They would literally call me 3x a day to ask how much fluid I had got down.  I think if I had not done what I was supposed to, they would have broken down my door and force fed me. 

Izzy and Barbie had their DS with Dr. Houston a month before mine, so the things I was experiencing was fresh on their mind.  I don't think I would have made it without them.

When  I had my wls 4 yrs ago the GA forum was very active.  We had a close knit group of ladies. We got together every month for outings, and if you posted on the forum, you would receive a ton of replies quickly.  I wish the newbies today had that too.

You really need to find a good wls buddy. If you cant find one on OH, try facebook or the pro-boards.  This is very hard to do alone!

One thing to meditate on, is that you will wake up one day and you will feel normal again. In fact, you will feel better than normal because you will be thinner and healthier than you've been in a long time.  And one day you will treat yourself to a new outfit and will realize you have shrunk down to the skinny section of the store.  You will tell yourself all this misery you are going through right now was so worth it!  I promise!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

LaShelle2
on 1/24/13 12:56 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Hello,

I just wanted to take a moment to check in with you. Are you feeling any better? As the pounds drop off, so will the depression and confusion :-)

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Jjt1180
on 1/25/13 12:47 am - GA

I am feeling better, I am finding that each day gets a little better. I think the hardest thing is not being able to eat what I want. I am on the stage 2, which is the full liquids and basically I eat SF pudding, greek yogurt, and tomato soup. I tried the cream soups and I really don't like them. I lost 16 pounds the first week which has helped my mood tremendously, it is helping me remember why I did this in the first place. Thank you so much for thinking about me

LaShelle2
on 1/25/13 2:31 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

When I was on full liquids, remember having watered down KFC potatoes and gravy.  It was so good, thought i was gonna die and go to heaven!  It was the closest thing to real food in forever.  Now, I am not recommending this, because it is off plan for rny, but it was   good.  You have a tiny, tiny tummy,and don't have much room to fill it with junk. Everything you eat needs to have protein.

I am surprised you are having tomato soup.It is very acidic and can irritate your pouch.  Usually we wait several months for any citrus or tomato products. This is for all wls.

Are you making your SF pudding at home and putting in a scoop of protein powder?

Are your cream soups Bariatric protein soups?

Are you drinking protein shakes? How many are you finishing? How much protein are you getting in.

Are you attending a support group?

Thumbs up on the Greek Yogurt, bu****ch the carbs.  Many, especially the fruit on the bottom are loaded with sugar and can make you dump.

Your full liquid stage is like my soft foods stage. I think  your surgeon is just calling it something different. For me full liquids were basically creamy protein shakes that you can see through instead of the clear  ones.

Try egg drop soup in the blender. YUMMO!!!  don't get the chips though. Don't even take them from the restaursan. It would just be torturing yourself to look at them.

Who is your surgeon? You don't seem very prepared for this.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

Most Active