Protein Bars vs. shakes??

Kim B.
on 6/25/03 9:13 am - Augusta, GA
My sister had LAP RNY surgery 13 weeks ago (I am 8 weeks post-op) and she is a member of a support group in Birmingham, AL that has a chatroom. Last night, a male nurse that had LAP RNY about 6 mos ago and said that protein bars are something we do not need to do, as we do not absorb most of the protein in the bars. I have not heard this. I don't do the bars myself (never found one I liked besides UTurn or Detour, both a lot of sugar and took me 3 days to eat one!), but my sister does and is worried....any comments? Also, I have tried a lot of different protein shakes and found that ProBlend 55 in Alpine Vanilla and Swiss Chocolate are fantastic! With 27g protein per scoop (I use one scoop per 4 oz. water), you can't beat it! Are there any other protein shakes out there that you have found you enjoy? Why would we absorb protein in a shake but not a bar???
Tammy W.
on 6/26/03 2:27 am - Dallas, GA
I just asked in the chat room and was told that we can absorb 36gm protein in a 2 hour period and that the bars are just fine but to watch the sugar content. ~Tammy
Leslie H.
on 7/26/03 2:56 pm - Lawrenceville, Ga
Hi.. I am 7 months out and I think they all suck...be sure that you can tolerate them and that you aren't useing them as a crutch to not get what you need through "normal" food too. If you go to Vitalady.com, they will let you order "samples" of the protien shake powders to try..you may want to start there if you really want to use a shake
Most Active