Dr. Edward Waits/Dr. Macik - Northside Bariatric

Melissa E.
on 7/28/03 3:29 am - Alpharetta, GA
Hi! I wanted to find out if anyone had surgery with either of these docs? I wanted to get your feedback on treatment, etc. Please respond with any opinions/advice you can offer me. Thanks so much!!
Siddy I.
on 7/28/03 4:59 am - Savage, MN
I had my first consult with that group last year and it was the worst mistake of my life. I'm so glad I changed surgeons. They now have outragous up front fees and IMHO they are a rip off. I have a good friend that had her WLS with Dr.Waits about 8 years ago. He had NO aftercare program at all then and she is paying for it now. She got to goal in less than 6 months (only ate 4 BITES of food a day) but now she is MO again and in bad health. People who have had WLS with them are very loyal but you should talk to some of the "old timers", folks that are 5 plus years out and you will get a very different story. e-mail me if you want to talk. Good luck to you no matter what you do. ~Sidney~
Gina L.
on 7/31/03 7:10 am
I had my original RNY surgery and my first revision under the "expert" guidance of Dr Waits and Dr Macik. I truly believe that the new fees that they are charging are outrageous and will prevent many MO from getting the treatment that they need and deserve. I almost died from the complications I developed as a result of my original surgery and that led to my second surgery. After the revision, I continued to have problems and needed a third surgery, which I chose to fly across the country to have. I am glad that I made the decision to seek another surgical opinion, as I feel , that if I had continued to wait on Dr Waits decision to repair what was wrong, I wouldnt be alive now. I cant tell you what surgeon to use, but I can sure tell you , from experience, that it is best to do a lot of research and to make sure that you get the surgery and the aftercare that you want. I dont think that the aftercare in this practice is much better now.. I am 32 months post op from my original surgery. I have found to be successful that you find an older post op.. meaning someone many years post and successful, and you learn from them what works and what makes them successful . From there, you base your aftercare program on what works, not necessarily what the surgeon/s office says. You have to understand, that most surgeons understand how to do the surgery and they do the surgeries very well, but they lack when it comes to knowing how to take care of us after the surgery. We are living with this surgery and most surgeons are not living with the surgery themselves. Gina
Beverly H.
on 8/7/03 12:52 am - Chicago, IL
Dr. Macik And Dr. Waits are no longer charging fees up front. They tried this because some of the larger, and better know, bariatric surgery centers in teh country have program fees. Atlanta is not ready for that, although I hear Emory is moving towards it. I had my surgery on March 27 with Dr. Macik. I have now lost 90 pounds in 4 months and 10 days. I've done wonderfully well. Both men are excellent surgeons. Dr. Macik prefers to operate at Northside, but does do surgery at Emory Shallowford where he is either head of surgery or cheif of staff. I can not recall which. These surgerys are cheaper there and he does them for those without insurance. Dr. Waits has a bit more personality. Dr. Macik is quiet. But, both have excellent care and have an incredible aftercare program.
gina426
on 11/13/03 11:45 am - kathleen, GA
BEVERLY...I READ THIS POST(ABOUT UP FRONT FEES) AND THOUGHT I SHOULD TELL YOU THAT I HAD A CHECK UP VISIT WITH DR. WAITS IN SEPT. 2003.....BECAUSE I CO-LEAD A LOCAL SUPPORT GROUP I NEEDED TO KNOW IF THIS WAS TRUE, SO I SPOKE SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE UP FRONT CHARGE WITH NANCY WAITS...SHE ASSURED ME THAT THEY INDEED DO CHARGE THE FEE (WHICH I BELIEVE IS 4000.00) AND WOULD CONTINUE TO DO SO....SHE SAID THEY JUST WERE NOT RECEIVING MUCH PAY FROM INSURANCE COMPANYS...I KNOW THIS WAS TRUE WITH MINE.....BUT HAVING SAID THIS I AM NOT SURE HOW THEY CAN LEGALLY DO IT....I AM A PPO AND WHEN YOU (DR.) AGREE TO PARTICIPATE IN A PPO YOU ALSO AGREE TO ACCEPT THE FEE WHICH IS NEGOTIATED.... NOT SURE IF A PPO PATIENT COULD USE THIS INFO TO BYPASS THE FEE...ANYWAY JUST THOUGHT YOU WOULD WANT TO KNOW...THANKS GINA HUGHES
gina426
on 9/13/03 4:36 am - kathleen, GA
DEAR MELISSA......I TOO USED DR. WAITES....I PERSONALLY FEEL HE SAVED MY LIFE.....I CAN'T REALLY COMMENT ON THE AFTERCARE...YOU SEE I DID EXACTLT WHAT MY PAPER WORK TOLD ME TO....I WAS ALREADY IN A SUPPORT GROUP , OF WHICH NOW I AM CO-LEADER.....THIS FOR ME WAS WAS THE MOST BENEFICIAL....YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THIS SURGERY IS ONLY A TOOL...YOU CAN GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK.....BUT YOU WOULD HAVE TO WORK AT IT...I AM 31 MONTHS POST....AT 18 MONTHS I SURPRISINGLY BECAME PREGNANT....I GAINED 28 LBS. I NOW HAVE A 3 1/2 MONTH OLD DAUGHTER....AND I COULD STAND TO LOSE 10LBS....BUT SINCE I AM NURSING I HAVE DELAYED WORKING ON THIS....IF I COULD GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE....1)FOLLOW "YOUR" DR. PLAN...2)MAKE THE VERY MOST OF YOUR "HONEYMOON PERIOD"3) REMEMBER THIS IS A TOOL TO HELP YOU LOSE...NOT A MIRACLE TO KEEP YOU THIN...THANKS AND GOOD LUCK...GINA
Most Active