Pre-Op Visit @ Northside

Patricia T.
on 9/11/03 11:47 pm - Smyrna, GA
Can anybody tell me what happens when you go to the hospital to pre-register? Also, what do you take with you when you go in for surgery? What will I need to buy for after I come home? Thanks for any information anyone can provide.
Laura F.
on 9/12/03 10:02 am - Dallas, Ga
Hi Pat, The Pre-op consists of registering you in the hospital, will need insurance card and drivers license. Then you will go to the Pre op area and meet with someone from Anesthesia. They will go over Pain control while in the hospital-choices are Dilaudid(what I had and was well pleased), Demerol(they don't really advise due to euphoria symptoms) and Morphine(I chose not to go with this due to itching that happens so frequently with Morphine). Or you can choose an Epidural(which many rave about-I chose not to as I have a bad back and did not want any manipulation to my spine-just a personal choice). They will also draw blood and place a blood bank bracelet for you to wear until surgery. As far as what to take-not much-slippers, rope if you choose, pillow, going home clothes, wet wipes, lip stuff. Some recommend a long handle wooden spoon for personal hygiene-to use with wet wipes. For home-sugar free jello, oatmeal, grits, sugar free carnation instant breakfast. Hope this helps. Blessings, Laura
Marrilee M.
on 10/9/03 12:59 pm
Is Dr. Burrowes doing your surgery at Northside? His office should tell you when to go to Northside for pre-op. Sometimes it can be a week before surgery, sometimes it's a day. What type of procedure are you having done? How long did it take you from the first call to Burrowes until your surgery? What kind of insurance do you have? Are you having to pay out of pocket? Blessings, Scout
Most Active