Any info on Emory?

mmeck
on 9/29/03 3:03 am - Hartwell, Ga
I choose Emory to handle my wls. I thought they would be top notch. I am very confident that I am in good hands, but everytime I call them to check on my paperwork, they don't have a clue. Is this the way they are with everyone or is it just me and my perception? I would love to hear from those who have experience with them.
shae7755
on 9/29/03 11:17 pm - Atlanta, GA
Just reading various profiles I have notice that you really have to be very pro active. I 'm going through Emory also and I called every other day to check on my paperwork. Also make sure you keep copies of everything you submit. I completed all my paperwork 9/19 and it was sent off to bcbs 9/25 so that was great turn around time.
Dawn P.
on 9/30/03 10:24 am
Compared to me, that is a great turn around.... I had everything (psycological testing and blood work) completed by the first week of July, and they did not send it off until the 4th of August. It took me from my first appt. on June 26th until today to recieve my pre op date (Oct. 15th). I think that by speaking to the same person each time you call may help with the turn around time. (Adrianna is a good contact person.)
mmeck
on 10/1/03 3:32 am - Hartwell, Ga
Well, I just got off the phone with Constance at Emory and it appears that they had recieved my psyc eval and my info is already at Cigna waiting for an approval. I will say that for the past three days I have been talking with two different ladies in the office. It appears that Deborah is on vacation and they got my paper work off before she left. So, after all the turn around time was not that bad.
Marrilee M.
on 10/7/03 8:40 am
Thanks to everyone posting re: Emory. I called a couple of years ago, left a phone message 3 times and it was 3 weeks before I got a call back. I figured if they were that bad about calling a prospective client they aren't someone I want to do business with. I called yesterday and found out there is a 6, yes, 6 month waiting period just to get into the Introductory Seminar. I signed up but have continued searching for a WLS surgeon that accepts Medicare. And I found one, Dr. Scarborough in Smyrna. I'm attending his Introductory Seminar on 10/28. Yipee!
Susan N.
on 11/2/03 3:24 am - Atlanta, GA
I posted this before but it's gone...guess there are still glitches. Anyway, I went to Emory's introductory seminar a couple of months ago (after only a couple of weeks wait). It was very difficult to get any info on the phone about the seminar, and I was very surprised that they refused to give directions over the phone (they had to be faxed???). Anyway, I went and was impressed with Dr. Smith but was very disappointed when he said there was only a 10-minute Q&A period, which he did back off on after some complaints, and he and his staff graciously agreed to stay longer and speak with people individually. I filled out a card that I would like to be contacted about an appointment but have never heard from anyone, so I chose another surgeon. I'm sure the clinical care is great, but from what I heard in the seminar and from others there is probably a lot of bureaucracy to deal with.
Most Active